children's writer

Why I Changed my Goodreads Challenge Goal

Jan 8, 2016

Eight days into the new year, and I've already decided that I couldn't quite hack it when it came to two of my resolutions. Judging by the title of this post, I bet you know which ones they are.

Yesterday, I lowered my Goodreads reading challenge goal from fifty to twenty, which is just one more book than I read last year. And you know what? I'm okay with that. I did try you guys, which sounds so silly given that the year has only begun. I didn't try nearly as hard as I should have. When I sat down to read the day before yesterday, I knew in my heart there was no way I'd read fifty books this year or get through ten classics. I think the main reason I set such lofty goals for myself was because I wanted to keep up with everyone else. Some of you read upwards of one hundred books a year, and here I was only having read nineteen.

So I've changed my goal and my attitude. I now only want to read three classics. As the saying goes, it is best to be true to yourself. Cranking up my reading goal so I could sit with the kids who read at a much faster a pace than I do wasn't a good idea. I definitely felt the pressure.

I want to take my time with reading, savoring each glorious sentence. I don't want to rush myself, or get to a point where I feel reading is a chore. There are still so many books I want to read, and at my pace I probably won't get to them all. But the books I do read this year will be remembered. Now that I think about it, I can't remember ever reading so fast. The books I love most were enjoyed for weeks at a time.

Do you ever feel pressure to read more?
Post Comment
Post a Comment