children's writer

Previously...

Jan 6, 2016
Hello! Every month Cole Burke and I will be hosting Previously, a monthly recap of our writing month. It was inspired by What's Up Wednesday. This is my post for January, just to show you guys how it'll work. There will be a link-up starting the last Wednesday of next month.

The headers:

Previously in Writing
Previously in Reading
Next Time in Goals
A Word of Advice


Previously in Writing

I'm currently working on a YA contemporary and it's going quite well. I'm nearing the 10k mark. I've set up this reward system inspired by another writer, so at every milestone I get a little treat. 10k means I get to spend all day reading. Seeing as how my reading is going, I really need it.


Previously in Reading

My goal for 2016 is to read 50 books. That's about a book a week. I'm currently reading Looking for Alaska by John Green. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the book. It's just that I'm such a slow reader. I feel like I'm behind already and it's only January.

Next Time in Goals

This has got to be my favorite. I love goal setting but I can never seem to accomplish all of them. I do try though. My goal for this month is to hit 10k on my contemporary and read four books. I've also signed up for a writing workshop through YARWA, so I'll be trying to whip my NaNo novel into shape. I honestly don't know what I want to do with my NaNo just yet. We'll see.


A Word of Advice

There were a few moments while drafting where I found myself overwhelmed by doubt. I think this doubt stemmed from comparing myself to other writers. I quickly had to give myself a little pep talk.I told myself I had no business comparing my beginning to someone's finished product. If I had any advice to give it would be that. As a wise man once said, "Comparison is the thief of joy."


That's it for me. How's your month going so far? Be sure to stop by at the end of February for the link-up. 
2 comments on "Previously..."
  1. Treating yourself is a great motivator. Good luck! <3

    That is a good quote and so true. It's easy to think "I'll never be as good as that author", but you don't need to be. You need to be yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss Cole! Treating myself has been working so far. And I agree with you. Being yourself is the way to go.

      Delete