Jan 7, 2016

Beautiful People: 2016 Writerly Goals & Resolutions


Hello! I'm popping in today with the Beautiful People link-up hosted by Sky and Cait. I've done the Beautiful Books link-up hosted by them, but this is my first foray with Beautiful People. Let's jump right in.

1. What were your writing achievements last year?

Last year was a decent writing year for me. I managed to finish two manuscripts, both young adult light fantasy. I also did a little bit of querying, then in November I participated in NaNoWriMo. That was basically the highlight of my year in writing.

2. Tell us about your top priority writing project for this year?

I'm almost 10k into a YA contemporary titled THEN THERE WAS US. I don't want to say too much  about it right now, but it was inspired by one of my favorite movies An Education. You guys have no idea how much I love that movie, and when I got the idea for my novel I just knew I had to write it. It has all of the things I love in a contemporary. Writing contemporary again feels like having a bit of chocolate for the first time.


3. List five areas you'd like to work the hardest to improve this year.

1. Characterization - I feel like I could do better at developing my characters. In my first drafts, I tend to do only a little bit of it. 

2. Dialogue - I actually think I've gotten better at this, but there's always room for improvement.

3. Pacing - Yeah, I have a hard time knowing if I'm doing this right. 

4. Setting - Like characterization, I always do the least amount of it while drafting. 

5. Voice - I tend to focus on this the most while I'm writing, but I'd like to make sure it's consistent throughout the whole story.

4. Are you participating in any writing challenges?

I'm not right now, not really, but who knows. The year is still young. I am doing a writing reward system. For every milestone I reach, I get to treat myself. So once I reach 10k I'll be dropping everything to read all day. I'm also challenging myself to write two novels this year, and I'm taking a writing workshop through YARWA.

5. What's your critique partner/beta reader situation like and do you have plans to expand this year?

I do have plans to exchange my NaNo novel with another writer later this year. I don't have a critique group, but I always manage to find someone to swap chapters with if need be. I don't think I'll be expanding. I'm pretty content for now.

6. Do you have plans to read any writer-related books this year? Or are there specific books you want to read for research?

I don't have any plans to read writer-related books this year. I probably will though. I would also love to find some comp titles, so I will be reading for those.

7. Pick one character you'd like to get to know better, and how are you going to achieve this?

I would love to get to get to know my main character Katherine Elliot better. I plan to achieve this by writing her story, then, once it's complete, I'll probably go in and flesh her out some more. I had success filling out character worksheets in the past. I might have to do this for some minor characters.


8. Do you plan to edit or query, and what's your plan of attack?

I definitely plan to do both. My plan of attack is to have this novel finished by May 15, let it rest for two weeks, and then hop right into edits once those two weeks are up. I hope to have the novel edited by August so I can enter Pitch Wars.

9. What are the books you want to see more of, and what "holes" do you think need filling in the literary world?

I would love to see more books featuring characters of color, especially written by people of color. I want to see more POC in fantasies, science fictions, and contemporaries. I think this is a hole that needs to be filled. More people are realizing this, but we obviously aren't where we need to be.

10. What do you hope to have achieved by the end of 2016?

By the end of 2016, I would love to have written two new books. I would love to have both my NaNo novel and current WIP edited and ready for submission. I would love to have made some new acquaintances in the online writing kidlit community. I've also been thinking of putting my NaNo novel up on Wattpad once it's ready to go. And I would love to have a literary agent, but that is out of my control.


Thanks for stopping by to read and comment. As usual, happy reading and writing!

2 comments:

  1. Love the name on your main character :-) I would love to see more different people in books too. Both with colour and different sexuality. More gay people in fantasy could be fun. Good luck with your writing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elin! We definitely need more of all kinds of diversity.

      Delete