children's writer

2016 Resolutions

Jan 4, 2016

My apologies for not posting since the 15th. I decided to take a short break during the holidays, but from today posting will resume as usual.  I thought it would be great to pop-in and share some of my reading and writing resolutions for 2016. Like everyone else, I'm really hoping this year will be a great one. 2015 was okay for me. If there's one thing I've learned it's that you can't  sit around and hope for things. You have to get out there and make things happen. I'm such a shy person, so this isn't always so easy for me. This year, I'd like to put myself out there more. Now, onto the resolutions.

Read 50 Books

Last year, I only read nineteen. I know that's a huge leap to fifty, but I figure a book a week is a good goal to aim for. In 2015, my reading was sporadic. I went days, weeks without reading anything at all. I know there's a vivacious reader living in me. I just need to stop procrastinating. I'm currently reading Looking for Alaska by John Green, and I'm really enjoying it.

Read 10 Classics

I believe I only read two last year, which is so unbelievably sad. I have quite a few on my Kindle, so there's no reason why I shouldn't be reading them. I guess I get so distracted by newer releases I forget that there's a whole bunch of books in public domain waiting to be read.

Take a Writing Workshop

I've already got this one covered. I signed up for a workshop though YARWA. If you've been looking into workshops, they have some really affordable ones, even for non-members. I'm looking forward to starting this workshop this month. I heard from another writer that there's much to look forward to.

Write and Finish Two Novels

I'm already working on one, and it's going quite well. I want to be finished with it by mid-March. I plan to write the other in the later part of the year. After a short while experimenting with  fantasy, I'm back to writing contemporary again. I feel really comfortable writing contemporary. It's like home sweet home.

Enter a Writing Contest

There are always quite a few contests going on each year. I entered a few last year and had a lot of fun. There are a couple contests I have my eye on, so we'll see. I think contests are a wonderful way to get your work out there and meet other writers. In fact, meeting other writers is a top priority for me.


These are just a few of the goals I'd like accomplish this year. Some will be easier than others for sure, but I'm looking forward to it. I hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas and New Year. I hope 2016 is off to a great start for you. This year I'll be hosting Previously with Cole Burke. My first post goes live on Wednesday.

As usual, happy reading and writing!

2 comments on "2016 Resolutions"
  1. Writing workshops are the best :D I've been to a few and loved them all.

    Good luck with your goals, and I can't wait to host Previously with you! ^_^ Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of my first one and I'm so excited for it. Thanks for the well wishes, and I'm looking forward to hosting Previously with you too!

      Delete