Dec 4, 2015

Writing the Second Draft by Hand


It certainly hasn't been two weeks since I won NaNo. I really have no business worrying about my second draft so soon, but I couldn't wait. I figured I probably have several more drafts to write either way. So yesterday I went out and bought myself a pack of notepads and some new colored pens.

My plan is to rewrite the whole novel by hand. I really should have written by hand in the first place. Blots & Plots wrote a great on why you should write on paper as well as Sarah Selecky. It made a lot of sense to me. My first draft was very much my discovery draft. I wrote it so fast. There are missing words, misspelled words, and a whole lot of nonsense in general.  I know it needs a ton of work. I'm eager to try a new approach.

I uploaded my manuscript to my Kindle and started reading. While there are things I like about it, some scenes either need to be cut or rewritten entirely. I know I could easily do this on my computer, but there's just something so inspiring about writing by hand. I'm hoping it will lead to new discoveries.

I've been deeply inspired by what I've read lately and I hope this inspiration will translate well into a fresh, new tale.While I don't have any new tips to share on writing a second draft or writing by hand, I will leave you with one my favorite quotes.
"... Like flies in amber, like corpses frozen in the ice, that which according to the laws of nature should pass away is, by the miracle of ink on paper, preserved. It is a kind of magic.” ―Diane Setterfield

It is a kind of magic. I think I might experiment with writing more of my stories by hand.

2 comments:

  1. I *love* writing drafts by hand. It is about trying things out, seeing if they work, getting to know your character and their world and just generally letting the words flow. And once I have a draft, I like to write missing scenes by hand.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Yeah, I'm pretty excited to give it a go. Drafting by hand seems like a neat way to really immerse yourself in your world and characters.

      Delete