Dec 11, 2015

Breaking the Spine


What do you do with your old books? Do you keep them around or do you let them go? I always have such a hard time letting go, especially when it's a book I love. Pictured above is my first copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. The spine is so badly broken the pages are falling out and my ten-year-old self scribbled all over it. Still, I keep it around because it has a ton of sentimental value. I still remember the day my mother said she'd be buying me a copy of the book everyone was talking about. I didn't care either way. I was just excited to get a new present. I remember receiving it and thinking it was the hardest book I'd ever had to read. To my ten-year-old self, J.K. Rowling's writing was equivalent to Dickens at the time.


I read it anyway, marveling over this boy who was just the same age I was. My friends, at the time, didn't get it. They wondered why I was suddenly so interested in words on a page than what they had to say. I took this book with me to school every single day and would read it before the start of class. Something magical happened whenever I spent time with Harry. I even noticed a slight improvement on my English tests. I'm not kidding you guys. Now, years later, I sometimes like to flip through it every once in a while. It's one of those books that make great rereading material. The first time I took it off my shelf after so many years, I laughed. It had seemed like such a mammoth back then, but I found the writing to be more whimsical than anything.

Isn't it amazing how different childhood books seem years down the line?

No comments:

Post a Comment