Nov 10, 2015

Beautiful Books: The Writing Process


Good morning folks! Today I'm participating in a Beautiful Books link-up. It's the second week of NaNoWriMo and it's going well. I have fell behind a little bit, but I hope to catch up today. I'm at 15k and I'm aiming for 20k. I know it's a long shot for me, but I want to see if I can do it.

That being said, let's jump right into it.

1. Is the book turning out how you thought it would be, or is it defying your expectations?

So far it is. It's going quite well. I haven't hit any real rough spots yet. I'm still quite in love with the story. I feel like I have a lot to discover about my characters and I'm looking forward to it. *crosses fingers behind back* But really, I'm in bliss writing this story.


2. What's your first sentence (or paragraph)?

Cora Elizabeth Emerson, a witch of seventeen, applied her favorite shade of red lipstick, and set out to ruin someone’s life.

3. Are you a plotter or a pantser. Have you tried both methods and how did it turn out?

consider myself a pantser. For this novel, I did write a brief description but that was is it. I have tried plotting before. I found it took the fun out of writing for me. Honestly, there always comes a time in the story when I feel like I need to see where it's going. Only then will I get out my index cards.

4. What do you reward yourself with after meeting a goal?

I haven't set any rewards for myself. Maybe I should. It would probably be chocolate or a good book


5. What do you look for in a name? Do you have themes and where do you find your names?

I don't know. It changes from story to story. I like for my main character's name to sound a certain way. I'd like for it to flow well with the narrative. For names I really like this blog

6. What is your favorite to write: beginning, middle, or end - and why?

The beginning of course because I find getting started is much easier than maintaining a momentum.

7. Who's your current favorite character in your novel?

My main character Cora has been my favorite to write so far. I'm finding her to be wonderfully complex. I'm looking forward to getting to know her more. I love writing witches.


8. What kind of things have you researched for this project, and how do you go about researching? (What's the weirdest thing you've researched?!)

Um, I haven't researched much. I can't even remember honestly. I must have Googled something, but I don't thing my searches have been so weird this time around. I'm mostly using my imagination.

9. Do you write better alone or with others? Do you share your work or prefer to keep it to yourself?

I write better alone for sure. I have shared my first draft as I was writing it. I did find the encouragement helped, but I think I write faster when I keep it to myself.

10. What are your writing habits? Is there a specific snack you eat? Do you listen to music? What time of day do you write best? Feel free to show us a picture of your writing space.
  1. I wake up really early in the morning and try to get writing anywhere from six-thirty to seven-thirty. This routine has really helped me.
  2. Tea! Tea! Tea! Or hot chocolate. 
  3. Yes! I have a Spotify playlist that I listen to for inspiration, and I love 8tracks for finding new tunes or listening to classical mixes. I write best to music without lyrics.
  4. I'm a morning writer through and through.

That's it for me! How's NaNo going for you? 


4 comments:

  1. That's a great first line!

    I really, really, really need to get back in to the habit of waking up early. I've become quite the night owl. I always feel I get so much more done if I start my day earlier.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't know why I write better in the morning. I know a lot of writers write better at night. It's all about doing what's right for you. :D

      Delete