children's writer

Brainstorming Characters

Oct 7, 2015
I'm honestly not much of a planner when it comes to writing. And if I do outline, I usually prefer to have quite a few chapters written first. That way I can see how the story's progressing. This time, however, I want to try something a little different. We all know that plot is character. I find that my favorite books, the ones that really stick with me and have me thinking about them months later, have really compelling characters.

I've saved a few articles, I'm rereading a chapter from Writing irresistible Kidlit, and I put a book on hold at the library. I think it's time to buckle down and give some more thought to how I craft my characters, who they are, what they look like, their fears, and deepest desires. I really loved this article by Briana Morgan on creating a journal for your characters. In the past, I have done interviews and such which did help but only scraped the surface. I have to know my characters and love them if I want anyone else to. I vow to take some time to get to know them properly.

I'm starting with a Polyvore set for one of my main character's Lucy Lovell. So far I've discovered her sense of style. her favorite book, her taste in music, and her current hobby. I'm looking forward to discovering more. I'd really like her to breathe life into her.

Post Comment
Post a Comment