children's writer

A Little Writing Update

Sep 3, 2015
My well is empty.

I've lost count of how many projects I've started in the past month. It seems whenever I get an inkling of an idea for something I immediately lose interest a few words later. I don't know what's going on. Do I need a break? My last project flew from my fingertips. It was so easy to write. I finished it in only three months and months later I'm still in love with it.

That's what I want.

I want the passion. I want to be absolutely head-over-heels in love with my newest project. I'm just not getting that with what I've written so far. And you know what? It really, really stinks. I don't know what to do with myself when I'm not writing. The other day, inspired by this post, I wrote down what I wanted for my newest project.

I want The Girl of Shards to be filled with magic and adventure. I want it to be lovely. I want reader's hearts to ache while they're reading it. I want it to be romantic and dark, a magical fairy tale like Pan's Labyrinth.

But when I sat down to reread what I had the butterflies just weren't there. Maybe I do need a break. Maybe I'm putting too much pressure on myself to get it right the first time. I guess the best thing I can do right now is wait. My well is empty and I need to refill. I do hope something comes to me soon. I know it isn't wise to wait for inspiration to write. One of my favorite authors said, "You have to write when you're not inspired." So I bought a new notebook, hoping that writing by hand would help.

We'll see how it goes!
6 comments on "A Little Writing Update"
  1. I have so been there. I took a break--an unintended one, but I think it helped. I'm so used to going going going with my writing that at some point it had to break down. I spent the time reading, watching movies, doing stuff with friends. Eventually I started on a new project, then had ideas for the old and returned to it. Creativeness is hard when we're trying to put so much out of ourselves. I think it's a good idea to step back every so often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Stephanie! You're right. Sometimes it is best to take a break. I think that's what I'll have to do. Thanks for stopping by to comment.

      Delete
  2. I know exactly how you feel, and it took me a long time to understand that it's okay to throw a lot of ideas out there until something sticks. In the end, the inspiration for what I'm writing now drowned out everything else. It took a while to get there, but it was worth it. I think the best thing I ever did was allow myself to write for me. I wrote a 50k story I never had any intention of sharing and it really freed up my mind and my creativity for later projects. Don't give up! You'll get there :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss Cole! I think maybe I am putting too much pressure on myself. I would love to write something just for me.

      Delete
  3. I know exactly how you feel. I've just come out of a massive writing slump myself. Like you, I spent months starting project and then abandoning them within the first 10K. I felt awful about it, like there was something wrong with me. But sometimes it's best to take a break, to do something else and recharge that creative well.
    Good luck with writing by hand. An idea that you love will come and when it does the magic will return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Laura! It does really stink. I want to write so badly. I'm praying for the magic to return. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete