children's writer

What's Up Wednesday

Jan 7, 2015
What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk.

WHAT I'M READING
I'm currently reading Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott. It's quite inspiring. I'm having a blast highlighting quotes to share later. Seriously, most of the book is highlighted in yellow. It's that good. I highly recommend it if you're looking for a good book on writing.


WHAT I'M WRITING
For the past few weeks I've had writer's block. I've tried to write but nothing feels right. I guess I just haven't found the right project yet. Anne Lamott, in Bird by Bird, says when you feel like you can't write it's because that project isn't one you're completely passionate about.

I'll have to take it bird by bird.

WHAT WORKS FOR ME
Schedules. Writing in the morning. Pinterest. I also read something the other day that I think might help, writing to music. You play the same piece every time you sit down to write. I'll definitely give it a try.

WHAT ELSE IS NEW
I put my MG up on Wattpad to read for free. I'm a little addicted to refreshing my profile, but it's been great so far, definitely encouraging.
14 comments on "What's Up Wednesday "
  1. I keep seeing people talk about Bird by Bird. I'll have to check it out :)

    And yes, it can take a while to find the right project, but something will come along.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check it out. It's really good! Thanks for stopping by, Miss Cole. I hope that new idea comes to me soon.

      Delete
  2. Bird by Bird is a fantastic book. I hope it inspires you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you find a project your passionate about soon. I tend to agree with that advice, but sometimes when you're halfway through a story and you struggle with a few scenes, it's not just about not being passionate enough about the project. There could be other road blocks too. And good luck with your MG on Wattpad! I'll have to check it out. ONe of my goals this year is to write a MG book, so I'll need all the inspiration I can get. :)

    My WuW post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I do, too! I agree with you, sometimes it's not just about passion. It could be something else.

      Delete
  4. I really, really need to read Bird by Bird -- that and Stephen King's On Writing are on my list. Good for you putting your novel up on Wattpad, that's terrifying to me! I hope you get lots of positive reactions, and maybe let your refresh finger have a break every once in a while :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read On Writing as well. I've heard so many good things about it. Hopefully, I can get over my need to refresh. ;)

      Delete
  5. I love Bird by Bird! That's so cool you put your writing up on Wattpad :) What a great way to get feedback and share your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carrie! It's been exciting so far.

      Delete
  6. Adding "Bird by Bird" to my reading list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it when you do read.

      Delete
  7. I know that's exactly what my problem is...I'm not feeling passionate enough about my project. But I don't want to give it up either! I may have to pick up this book you are speaking of. Maybe it will help. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it will help. You never know. I hope you have a great week, too!

      Delete