Oct 22, 2014

What's Up Wednesday

This is my first What's Up Wednesday post. What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk.


WHAT I'M READING

I've been reading The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey, as well as The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton. They're both magical realism, and I'm quite enamored with them. The Snow Child is a perfect read for this time of year. It makes me want to curl up with a cup of hot chocolate. I can't wait for winter's first snow. And The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender is quite strange in the best way and beautifully written.


WHAT I'M WRITING


I'm still working on my MG novel. I'm nearly at the finish line, about 10,000 more words to go. I ended up lowering my word count goal. My original goal was 45,000 words, but I don't think I'll have enough scenes to make it. 40,000 is a good enough endpoint for MG. Yesterday, I managed to write the first draft of my query. The day before, I wrote a rough synopsis for my NaNo novel. I'm so excited about NaNo. I hope to have my WiP finished by the 31st.




WHAT WORKS FOR ME

A while ago I made a WiP playlist. It's helped get me into the right frame of mind for drafting. I love listening to it before I open Word.  I read a post on fast drafting the other day that was pretty inspiring. What she said made a lot of sense. The longer I take to write a project, the more burned-out I feel. Since I tend to want to edit before the draft is finished, this method is perfect for me. Read the post.


WHAT ELSE IS NEW

Besides preparing for NaNo and drafting, nothing much. I've been catching up one some of my favorite shows on Hulu, as well as watching Parks and Recreation back-to-back on Netflix. My life has been pretty uneventful this month.

Thanks for stopping by you guys!

13 comments:

  1. The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender is on my TBR, I'd really like to get my hands on a copy! :) Playlists are really helpful, aren't they? I have a couple myself.

    Good luck with your MG novel and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really beautiful book. I recommend it. Yay for playlists!

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. It's almost NaNo time! Hard to believe, eh? Such a fun month...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. November is one of my favorite months because of NaNo and turkey. :D

      Delete
  3. I love fast-drafting, too - though I do have a habit of editing as I go! Best of luck finishing that WIP! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma! Fast-drafting is a great tactic. It really keeps things fresh.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your MG book! Both those books have been on my TBR list and I'm glad to hear they are great. NaNo is soon -- I know. Can't believe it, either!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! I actually just took both out of the library as eBooks. Maybe yours might have them.

      And I love the excitement of NaNo!

      Delete
  5. I am super dependent on my WiP playlists for inspiration. And go you with the MG story! Good luck with all things NaNo. I'm not doing it this year, but I'll cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alison. I'll definitely be making playlists for my future WiPs. So much inspiration!

      Delete
  6. Hey there, nice to meet you. It can be hard to guess how many words a book should be in advance, can't it?

    I definitely need to do some soundtrack stuff before November, since I've got two different books to keep straight!

    I forgot to post on Wednesday, but you can catch up with me here: http://kelworthfiles.wordpress.com/2014/10/23/whats-up-wednesday-revenge-of-the-angry-birds/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems everybody loves a good soundtrack. Nice to meet you, too!

      Delete
  7. I'm big on WiP playlists myself. There's nothing quite like a good playlist to get your brain in the right place for working on a given story. Good luck as you finish up your MG! You're so, so close! :-)

    ReplyDelete