Oct 1, 2013

On A Bookish Date: When You Reach Me

On A Bookish Date is a meme in which I share my love for books and cure my style cravings.

I recently finished reading When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead. I'd heard so many good things about it from other writers I picked it up on one of my spur of the moment bookstore trips. I figured it would be a quick, light read. What I loved most about the writing was the way Rebecca Stead subtly wove in details. I honestly didn't figure things out until the very end. That made the book all the more special because one of my biggest pet peeves in fiction is being able to guess what happens next. The story line didn't feel rushed at all. Often last chapters read as if the author wrote them fairly quickly just to finish up the story. In When You Reach Me, the last few lines had an open-ended sort of feel to them. As if to say, this is only the beginning.

All of the characters, including the secondary characters, had major roles in the story. Even the characters whose roles appeared rather small at first. I loved the way issues of race and class were subtly woven in. They weren't all in your face, though my heart still broke. It continued to ache hours after I read the last line. When You Reach Me is a book everyone should read--young or old.



For our date I'd wear a mid-length wrap skirt, long cozy boots, and a puff hat. A Wrinkle in Time is my favorite book as well, like the main character Miranda's. 

5 comments:

  1. Great post. I need to read this book. I've wanted to for a while and this is a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I forgot to add I love the look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Ron! You should definitely definitely pick it up. I really hope you do. And I'm glad you like the look of my blog. I'm always fidgeting with the design.

      Delete
  3. Ohhhh... I haven't heard of this book! I'm so glad you pointed it out, Tracey. Thank you! And the pics are WAY fun. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Morgan! Thanks for stopping by. It's truly a phenomenal read.

      Delete