children's writer

National Writing Month & Goals for October

Oct 3, 2013

Sorry, October. November is the month I'm looking forward to the most. It'll be my third year participating in NaNoWriMo and hopefully my first year hitting 50k. Last years NaNoWriMo was almost a complete fail. The project I'd originally planned to write went nowhere, though I did flex my fingers a bit with another spur of the moment SNI. Though I only made it to 10k, my appetite for new words was satisfied.

Ivy of Our Hearts still begs to be written. It's one of those ideas that's been really hard to shake off. I've thought about it a lot this year, rearranging scenes in my head and adding new plot points. The story line is more or less the same. But with my new interest in fantasy and my imagination being led by my favorite old fairy tales, I think I've taken it to a new exciting level. I don't have a new synopsis yet. You can read the original synopsis here if you wish. Bridge to Terabithia and Snow White have been major inspirations.

50K is a long way off. I haven't even reached 10k for my current WIP--We Are Shining. In September I picked up a sparkly notebook called Diamond Starlight for plotting, doodling, and brainstorming. It reminded me of the stars. It's funny how something so simple can motivate you to keep going.

I doubt I'll finish it before NaNoWriMo, but if I can write at least half of it I'd be gleeful. The quote below reminds me of my MC Bryn whose once glittering eyes are now not so glittery.

"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."  
- Roald Dahl

Goals for October
  1. Hit 25,000 words in We Are Shining
  2. Finish reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak in time for the movie
  3. Purchase a new notebook for Ivy of Our Hearts and write a new synopsis
  4. Blog 2x a week  
  5. Do more of what makes me happy without guilt or fear

It's officially fall. And fall means new beginnings.
8 comments on "National Writing Month & Goals for October"
  1. And my advice is pay special attention to number 5 should 1-4 end up not quite happening. Speaking from a place of personal knowledge of both guilt and fear!

    Sounds like an excellent plan and the The Book Thief.....ah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sound advice, Jaye! I will take it. And yes, The Book Thief. ;)

      Delete
  2. Good luck with NaNo, that's awesome! I could never do that.
    I loved, LOVED, The Book Thief! I can't wait for the movie. :) I'm interested to hear what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going to do a post on my thoughts. I'm really really enjoying it so far.

      Delete
  3. Tracey! I haven't talked to you in a while! I get so busy with things, and lose track of so much. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I don't know if I will be doing NaNo, but that's just because I am currently writing something right now (about 35k words) and I really wanted to focus on it. Maybe I will use NaNo to help me get through first edits of this WIP by the end of November. Change NaNo a bit to help me. :) Or maybe I will tackle one of my ideas I have been wanting to write. We'll see. Best of luck with NaNo. You can do it! Just take it easy and slow, don't stress about it, and it won't be too hard. And if you ever need a beta or anything at all, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for stopping by as well. Using NaNo to help finish your novel is a great idea. Act 2 of mine is looking quite daunting. Thanks for the well wishes and offering to beta. Happy writing!

      Delete