Oct 7, 2013

A Dollar Per Book


Have you ever been to a one dollar book sale? It's a marvelous high. At 10 am this past Saturday my local library wheeled out carts filled with tons of books. The books were separated by age group, though there was a cart for paperbacks, movies, audio, and books in other languages. I arrived a little after ten and was a little upset I didn't get there sooner. There were so many people there, people pushing shopping carts filled to the top. Lucky me, I was able to get my hands on a few I actually want to read. 

From top to bottom:

1. The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall - The selection of children's books wasn't as vast as I hoped it would be. The parents really took advantage of the sale. I was surprised to find The Penderwicks lodged in between two other books. I saw the spine and snatched it up right away. I kind of feel sorry for everyone who missed this gem. It'll be a lovely addition to my middle grade selection, which at the moment looks pitiful next to my young adult selection.

2. A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly - When I first started blogging and became immersed in the online book lovers community, this was one of the books on my to-read list. Overtime, it moved further down my list. I'm glad I found it though, and I know I'll love it due to my renewed love for historical fiction.

3. Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood - This will be my first Atwood book. It's dystopia, and I haven't read much dystopia. Someone mentioned it in one of their best book of the month posts a few months back. Since then I've wanted to read it.

4. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout  - I picked this one up mostly because it sounded familiar. I've wanted to venture out of my safe zone in literature for sometime now. So far, from reading the first line, I think Strouts' writing is the kind I'll be able to drink up. It takes place in Maine. I've heard Maine is a beautiful place.

5. The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards - The title makes it sound promising, even my mother commented on how much she liked it. We'll see, we'll see. Originally I thought it had something to do with time travel. I did pick up a copy of The Time Traveler's Wife, but I've seen the movie way too many times.

6. Rules of Civility by Amor Towles - The copy is rather good, though there was one cringe worthy dog ear. I flew through the sample on Amazon. I can't wait to sink into the pages once more. I have a copy of the Great Gatsby that needs to be read. Rules of Civility will be a great companion.

7. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson - It's on the favorites lists of almost everyone who reads YA. It's a gem. It's a classic. I'm thrilled.

8. Room by Emma Donoghue - It's all about the premise. I'm almost worried it might be a bit too dark for me. Still I'm curious enough to crack it open and peek in.

Eight books for eight dollars. There were two I'm sad I let go, like the movie tie-in of Hugo's Cabinet. It would have been pretty on a shelf. I also walked passed some Stephen King's. I could have had Water for Elephants, but I let it go. While I paid for the eight, someone said they'd be bringing out more children's books. I should have stuck around. This sale really spoiled me. I need more books.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I must admit, I went in a bit apprehensive. Now I can't wait until next year's sale.

      Delete
  2. That's amazing! You got some good ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Nice finds. I haven't read any of these. I hope they're as wonderful as the price. I always forget to go the the library for their book sales. My husband goes, and he always comes home with stacks for me to go through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Angie! You know, I've been aware of these sales for a while now. I'm so glad that I actually took the time to look through the books. There were some real gems there. Based on the turnout, I am glad to report that lots of people still do read. ;D

      Your husband is a keeper!

      Delete
  4. Holy wow you cleaned house! Great titles, and great deal :) I especially loved The Penderwicks. Need to read the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Gina! I'm so looking forward to The Penderwicks. I wish they had more awesome middle grade titles.

      Delete