children's writer

Read the Classics (like they're going out of style)

Aug 23, 2013
I picked up my first real classic in the eighth grade. It was a paperback copy of Wuthering Heights. Another girl in class said she'd read Pride and Prejudice, so I was excited to dive into another classic from a popular author. It took a while to get into and every time I didn't understand something I'd rush up to my teacher and ask her to explain. It took even longer to finish the book, but I'm glad I did. It's a story that really stays with you and certainly encourages you to read more classics.



1. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

It caught my eye after being recommended by a number of other bloggers. And I've been meaning to pick it up for ages now. I've read the first few pages on Amazon. What really captured my heart was the impeccable voice. So timeless. 

2. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

Honestly I never paid much attention to it until it was reviewed by another blogger. The excerpt she posted sealed the deal. I rushed onto Amazon and finished the sample. It's another one of those books with a timeless voice. Now if only I could finally put down a newer book and purchase it. I've waked passed it so many times in the bookstore.

3. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

I first came across The Secret Garden in middle school. I must have picked it up and put it back down. It has a special place in the back of my mind, a place where books I know I should read but walk away from reside. Someday I will take that plunge.


4. The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald 

I bought this one recently during the Gatsby craze. I told myself I'd read it before seeing the movie and I will. I'm looking forward to meeting the main character, who looks quite interesting in the movie, and exploring the 1920s. It'll be a great read.

5. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Now I do own a copy, which I started years ago. I stopped reading at the end of Jane's childhood. I caught a glimpse of the movie not too long ago and one of my favorite book vloggers reviewed both the movie and the book. That inspired me to give it another chance. I liked what I saw in the 2011 film a lot.


There is one more book I'd like to own, Anne of Green Gables. I totally forgot about it when I put this list together. You can't write about classics without including Anne. What's your favorite classic?
6 comments on "Read the Classics (like they're going out of style)"
  1. I really loved Jane Eyre. But The Secret Garden is a childhood favorite. :) I haven't read The Great Gatsby, but it's on my list, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure everyone has read Jane Eyre except for me. Thanks for your thoughts, Rachel.

      Delete
  2. I really liked Secret Garden and I've wanted to read The Great Gatsby for a long time. And Anne of Green Gables is one of my all time favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time someone mentions The Secret Garden it moves higher up my list. Anne of Green Gables is the classic of children's classics.

      Delete
  3. Hey Tracey! I finally made it over to your blog after our initial chat on Goodreads :)

    Loved 'I Capture The Castle' so much -- it's sweet, fun, quirky. Great read.

    Also loved Jane Eyre, Gatsby, and The Secret Garden. All so worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gina! Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear that you're a huge fan of these books as well.

      Delete