children's writer

Schedules! Lists! Oh My!

Mar 13, 2013
It's time for another installment of Thursday's Children, which is a blog hop in which writers share what inspires them.

This week I'm deeply inspired by all of the folks who can create schedules for themselves and stick to them. Lately I've been feeling very restless. Maybe one or two of you might have noticed how many times I've changed my blog layout in the past month. My willingness to blog almost every single day has left me feeling a bit fatigued.

I'm starting to feel like my blogging is keeping me from the things that are more important like my writing and  spending more time with books. I started two books months ago and never finished them. I started a new novel, and I'm still at the same word count I was last week. It's funny when I first started writing I did it with so much vigor. Now I can barley write a word without refreshing my blog page. It has become kind of an obsession, an obsession that needs to end. I need to unplug. I need to be more productive.

I know many of you have certain hours of the day set aside for writing. I've always enjoyed writing in the morning. There are things I'd like to improve, like learning to write more words in a shorter amount of time. I do find I write faster when I'm using Written? Kitten!. As of now, I don't think I'm going to keep myself on a strict schedule but some structure would do me some good.

In fact, I'm really looking forward to it. It'll be a nice change.

A few things I'd like to accomplish:

  • Finish reading the books I've started 
  • Finish cleaning up my manuscript
  • Have my first draft completed  by the end of April (Camp NaNo)

As always, thanks for reading, commenting, and being so awesome. If you'd like to join the blog hop visit the Linky List here. And if you'd like to feel more productive too there's this great online tool called Wunderlist I like to use to set goals.
21 comments on "Schedules! Lists! Oh My!"
  1. I also get easily distracted from actual writing-maybe I have a love/hate relationship with it because it can make me feel incredibly powerful, or incredibly sucky. Here's to your Spring Resolutions! Love the daffodil :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rhiann! Blogging can be a huge time suck, but it does also have a lot of pros.

      Delete
  2. I am also inspired by people who can stick to a schedule. My is very flexible. Good luck finding a rhythm that suits you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Raewyn! I drafted mine up yesterday. I hope it works for me.

      Delete
  3. It always starts fast — the toughest part is keeping it going. Remember, it's not a sprint, it's a marathon! So pace yourself. Figure out a reasonable pace, then stick to it. Much easier than starting and stopping. When you've written your quota, stop, and use the rest of your time for blogging, reading, etc.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, John. I have fallen off the wagon a little. Pacing myself is wise advice.

      Delete
  4. I stink at scheduling. I love blogging, but it does take up a lot of time. Which why I'm taking a break right now. (Just had to hop on today and catch up with a few people.) :) I've gotten more writing done lately, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I hope to get more writing done, too. I've given myself a word count goal for this week and a reading goal for this month. Sometimes breaks are the only way to get things done.

      Delete
  5. I tend to do well on the reward system. If I meet my writing quota for the day, I can do other things I want to do, like blogging, catching up on an episode of a show I like, reading etc. Also, thanks for sharing the Written? Kitten link! I've never seen that before, but I'm going to give it a go! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of a reward system. And Written? Kitten! is awesome--a really cute way to stay on track.

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of Written? Kitten! If you like that, you might love Write or Die, http://writeordie.com/ Check it out and let me know.

    http://writeordie.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of Write or Die. I'm kind of a little intimidated by it. :D

      Delete
  7. Oh, I got so excited about Write or Die I forgot to mention my blog in case you want to visit.

    http://www.miaceleste.com/?p=227

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm one of those people who have a strict schedule. But, you know, sometimes when my creative brain is fighting against the part which wants to do everything in an orderly fashion, my creative side has a point.

    Sometimes what I need isn't more scheduling as much as quiet time and being kind to myself, listening and trying to find out what my creative side is saying. It can mean I've taken a wrong turn in a project or that there is a story I need to get out of my head before I can become the organized writer again. Sometimes it means I need to do something fun and give my brain a break from writing so little distractions aren't as tempting as before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love writing in the mornings, too. and after that everything else is allowed.
    I have the opposite issue with my blog--I don't spend enough time.
    Sound like you know what's best. Stay focused and I think you be on target. Your blog is very pretty, Tracey and nice meeting you.

    btw, finish reading those books! Think of it like this, (I do) reading is writing. So it's not cheating. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm awful at keeping a schedule. I really need to work on that. Good luck with your goals!
    I have to check out Written? Kitten!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep a schedule with my fiction writing - my blog not as much. I've tried but I find it stresses me out so I released myself from that burden. Including Thursday's Children. If a post comes to me, GREAT! But if not, I'm not going to stress it. Be kind to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you make goals for yourself and put them out there like this! And I like to write in the morning, too. Usually, it takes me about an hour to really hit my stride, and then it's smooth(er) sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your new design. And yes, blogging is exhausting because it does require the same part of our brain as regular writing, I think. Right now I've had to scale back my SM time because I'm on deadline and it's actually kind of refreshing. Thanks for the links to Written Kitten and Wunderlist, they look super helpful!

    ReplyDelete