children's writer

On A Bookish Date: Amity and Sorrow

Feb 25, 2013
On A Bookish Date is a meme in which I share my love for books and cure my style cravings.

With Amity and Sorrow, I think what caught my eye was the cover. I love the hints of blue and red. It's the kind of cover I'd want to display. Though what really hooked me was the synopsis: A mother flees a cult with her teen daughters. It makes for a heartfelt read.


In the wake of a suspicious fire, Amaranth gathers her children and flees from the fundamentalist cult in which her children were born and raised. Now she is on the run with only her barely aged teenage daughters, Amity and Sorrow, neither of whom have seen the outside world, to help her. After four days of driving Amaranth crashes the car, leaving the family stranded at a gas station, hungry and terrified. 

Rescue comes in the unlikely form of a downtrodden farmer, a man who offers sanctuary when the women need it most. However while Amity blossoms in this new world, free from her father's tyranny, Sorrow will do anything to get back home. Although Amaranth herself is beginning to understand the nature of the man she has left, she needs the answer to one question; what happened to the other wives and children.



For our date I'd keep things rather folksy.

Amity

2 comments on "On A Bookish Date: Amity and Sorrow"
  1. This is a new-to-me meme. Very different and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela! I wanted to try something new.

      Delete