children's writer

Back Into The Query Trenches

Feb 19, 2013

Here we are! After almost three months of revising, I'm nearly ready to begin querying again. Only nearly because I'm still fidgeting with the query and giving my MS one last read-through. I'm sure that last read-through will turn into a dozen more.

Earlier this year I said my word for 2013 is patience. I seem to be taking it very seriously.

Much to my surprise, I've managed to ignore almost every contest and opportunity to send off my query. Last night I wondered if it was just my way of stalling. I'm no stranger to querying too soon, but I definitely did learn my lesson the second time around. So much so that the thought of making the same mistake again makes me want to weep. Fool me twice, shame on me. Is that how it goes? I'm just having a difficult time believing, though I still do love this MS. I guess more than I loved the first because we've been together since August 2011 and still going strong.

We're having some trust issues, but I'm sure once I'm in the thick of it again all will be well. I hope all is well for you and your MS, too.
10 comments on "Back Into The Query Trenches"
  1. You'll know when you're ready - there's that fine line between perfecting and procrastinating. You'll know when you've crossed it. In the meantime, good for you for having patience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you I queried too soon with a project. Lesson learned. Good to see that you've taken such care with your work. It'll pay off. Good luck and I hope we'll hear how the submissions go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of writers make that mistake, but we do get a little wiser with every manuscript. Hopefully! :D

      Delete
  3. A great way to test your query is to post it on the WriteOnCon Luck O' The Irish Pitch Fest ---> happening NOW! :)

    Happy querying! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I actually posted an older version of my query and got some great advice. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Good luck!!! I'm in the middle of it right now and I have to say, it's tough! But it's also nice to put my work out there. :)

    Crossing my fingers for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm crossing my fingers for you, too.

      Delete