children's writer

My Vision

Dec 13, 2012
I told my new writer friend, Rhiann, I'd participate in her blog hop today. I'm supposed to blog about something that inspires my writing, and while there are a lot of things that inspire me nothing beats being told I suck. Last night I spent a few minutes cutting most of my first chapter because it was too slow, too telling, too this, too that. I spent even more time trying to come up with the perfect first line. After lots of brainstorming and almost wanting to cry, I'm finally happy with my new first chapter. I hope whoever reads it will be, too. Truthfully, the one thing that scares me the most about being an aspiring author is the uncertainty.

We spend so much time slaving over sentences, paragraphs, scenes, and chapters. And at the end of it all, once we've completed yet another draft, we still don't know if all that hard work was even worth it. That said, after reading a free e-book, I took the time to write down my vision.

Vision: To write and publish great novels that inspire and evoke emotion in the reader.

So when I'm feeling down and questioning whether all of this cutting and rewriting will even make much of a difference, I'll try to remember why I write in the first place.

Do you have a vision? Have you written it down?
10 comments on "My Vision"
  1. I'm sure all your hard work will pay off. :) You are a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being so supportive, Rachel. :)

      Delete
  2. I struggle with the uncertainty too. But I think it's always worth the effort if you're enjoying yourself in the process! At the end of the day, that's what's most important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your second sentence made me laugh out loud. Until I thought, uh oh, I hope she knows I don't think she sucks...You do know that, don't you??? As I said, I'm super-picky and my crit comments are always just food for thought. Also I can't even tell you (because I've lost track) how many times I've rewritten paragraphs and chapters, slicing, dicing, hacking and chopping. Sometimes as a result of agent feedback or CP feedback, or one of those middle-of-driving-somewhere epiphanies. In the end hopefully all the hard work reflects our vision. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry Rhiann told me I suck too. We can start a new Blog Hop to console ourselves.

    But having a vision's a great inspirational idea. Make sure you keep it somewhere where it'll always be in plain view — on your wall or mirror. That way you'll always be reminded why you're doing it!

    Don't worry about the first chapter thing. I've firebombed mine... tweaked it a bit too far, then brought back some of the things I missed. It's an iterative process, that'll probably never stop...

    Thanks for joining! Don't forget to use the Linky and hope to see you next Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uncertainty is so hard and yet the writing path is rife with it, but I love the idea of actually writing down your vision. I think I need to put mine up on the bathroom mirror. So glad you're joining us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments you guys. I love reading them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for joining us on Thursday's Children! Uncertainty and the vagaries of the publishing industry make me want to tear my hair out, too. That's why it's so great and refreshing to meet so many cool writers online ;-)

    ReplyDelete