children's writer

Changing My Process

Dec 3, 2012
Many of you have probably already read Changing Your Process on Writer Unboxed. I just read it the other day and felt like it was exactly what I needed to hear. You guys know that I love to talk about the projects I'm working on, but I've never actually shared my writing process.

The main reason for that: It was pretty embarrassing how much time I spent thinking about writing but not actually writing. Some days would start with me getting a few words down, reading over those words, editing them, and then daydreaming about my characters.

But I've evolved.

Or at least I'm trying to. According to the post on Writer Unboxed it takes a while for new habits to sink in, as long as sixty-six days. I've given myself a goal of writing at least 1,000 words every day for three months in an attempt to get into "shape." 1,000 words might not seem like a lot, but I figured I'd be a lot more likely to stick with this goal if I didn't push myself too hard.

Today was the first day of my journey to being a better writer and it went well. With the help of Written? Kitten! and Pandora those words flew onto the page. I've had enough of those days spent not writing. I want to be able to declare that I've finished writing yet another novel. With my old process, that would take months, years if I completely stopped trying. This is my plan:

CHANGING MY PROCESS

  • I will write at least 1,000 words every day, usually as soon as I wake up.
  • I will not edit anything until I've hit my word count goal.
  • I will not let the internet interfere with my writing.

I'm feeling very optimistic. 
8 comments on "Changing My Process"
  1. Those are some great changes to make, and are actually quite similar to what I have started doing myself. I decided after NaNo that I would try and write at least 1K a day, though I usually write at night. And I am trying to avoid editing until I get to the end of a project.
    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. I want to stick with it, but I do know how easy it is to fall back into the same routine. I'll be keeping track of my word count on a calender for extra motivation. Good luck with your writing as well.

      Delete
  2. 1000 words a day is significant. At 1000 words per day, you have a first draft between 2 and 3 months. That's nothing to turn your nose up at! Good luck with your goals :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jaye. I hope I can reach my goal.

      Delete
  3. I literally go unplug so that I can get my word count in. I go into the basement and unplug the modem. Only I can't do this on the weekend when the kids are home. The internet keeps them busy. So naturally I don't get as much writing done since I'm easily distracted. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome. I need to do this, too. After Christmas I plan to start a new novel and I am going to get into shape, too! But first, I have some books on writing I want to read. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fantastic plan! I do find that not editing is the BIGGEST time saver ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to try to write 1,000 words a day once I start my next manuscript next month. I hope to get myself into better habits as well! Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete