children's writer

NaNoWriMo: Homestretch

Nov 29, 2012
The title of this post is sort of misleading because I'm nowhere near finished with this novel. I spent a good chunk of the past few weeks thinking about writing but not actually writing. Only yesterday, or the day before, did I decide that this novel is worth continuing. I did get down a few new words and managed to get the number of times I used the word was from 183 to 77. After doing that, I'm ready to jump back in full steam. There's just too much I love about this novel to give up on it.

I'm still at the 10k mark, but I really want to have this novel finished by the new year. I've edited but haven't written any new novel-length works. Ending the year without at least completing one new novel would be very upsetting. I think I might even do my own December mini challenge.

Over the month of November, one thing I did do was collect a ton of images that reminded me of New York, specifically Brooklyn. I really wish I could share some of those, but I don't want to take any chances posting more images that aren't my own. That said, I'll leave you with an excerpt instead.

Congrats to those of you who finished NaNo. You guys rock my socks off.

From Just Another Moonlit Night: 


Finn had neck length blond hair, which he always wore down. His favorite pair of shoes were these old Birkenstocks his mother had given him several birthdays ago. When he wasn't painting, or spending time with me, he worked from home as a web developer. He was good at anything that required the use of his hands. 
On Saturday mornings we’d listen to Bob Marley’s “We’re Jammin” from a radio we found on sale for only fifteen bucks. I’d put on the tea kettle, fill my cup with two spoonfuls of sugar, and when the tea was all made I’d sit on the couch we’d found on a sidewalk one afternoon and watch Finn through the open door of his studio, slashing away at canvases. I’d gotten prettier at eighteen. My braces had come off. I kept my brunette strands cut short at my ears and now had a taste for hand-me-down dresses. 

Happy writing and reading!
9 comments on "NaNoWriMo: Homestretch"
  1. Love that excerpt. No NaNo completion is pretty alright when you've found a novel worth investing time into it. Good luck on getting it completed be year's end :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela. You always leave such thoughtful comments.

      Delete
  2. You're a talented writer, Tracey. I know many good stories will flow from you. Don't feel the need to rush them. Bird by bird...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. You are too kind. Bird by bird is definitely something to remember.

      Delete
  3. Good luck finishing your draft in December! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be joining you with writing the first draft in December. I spent November planning my new project. I just have to finish the outline (technically I still have to start it), then I'm ready to go. Just in time for the kids to be home for Christmas. :P

    Good luck on finishing your first draft in December, Tracey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your novel Tracey! The fact that you started and are constantly thinking about it is what matters :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes it's better to wait until the story grows big enough before you plant it on paper. Your thinking about it, dreaming it out, researching where it will go means it's becoming real. Those are the best projects. They blossom on the page. I can't wait to read more excerpts. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete