Nov 5, 2012

NaNo Update NO.1

One thing I've learned while NaNo-ing: always have a backup novel. On day 1 of NaNo my original idea and I parted ways after only four pages. Lucky for me, I did have another idea that I was equally excited about. This idea was called The Corner Store, and was supposed to be about the trials and tribulations of a young couple living in Brooklyn, NY. The things is, when I sat down to write it totally didn't pan out the way I'd hoped. 

As of day five I'm 5,164 words in and having blast. Yes, I know I'm behind, but being apart of NaNo has been a very good learning experience. I've learned that as well as being a slow typer, I prefer to have relatively clean first drafts. Or at least clean by my standards. 

So this novel that was inspired by my original idea for The Corner Store, is titled JUST ANOTHER MOONLIT NIGHT. I was calling it contemporary YA, but I think it might be more contemporary or literary NA. Maybe even adult fiction.

My main character is an eighteen-year-old girl named Coco Lee who is incredibly insecure, first about her appearance and then about her relationship with her boyfriend. I don't have a synopsis written for this novel yet, but here's a snippet:

Across the room, out of my window, the moon hung fat and round in the sky. It was just another moonlit night in Brooklyn, and I, Coco Lee, was just another fish in a sea of thousands. Maybe if I were lucky someone would fall in love with me like my mother had with my father. And if we were lucky we’d have babies who were prettier than me. Call me shallow, but at seventeen what more was there to want than being loved.

Thanks for reading, and may your day be filled with lots and lots of new words. 

8 comments:

  1. At least you and your WIP parted ways early. Nothing worse than abandoning it November 29. :D

    Good luck with your next project. Love the title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that it happened early. I do still like the original idea. I hope to go back to it someday.

      Delete
  2. I agree, very nice title. I liked the excerpt, too! Good luck with it. I look forward to hearing more about your progress. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel. I definitely will be sharing more.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed the snippet and that is a very catchy title. Go! NaNo! Go!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad it all worked out for you, Tracey! I had an idea for a new story right out the blue in the middle of the night a couple of days ago, and whilst it could have been easy to drop everything and pursue it, I decided against it. There's always the Christmas holidays after all! Good luck with your new MS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I could be as patient as you, Fiona. Once I have a new idea I want to start writing right away.

      Delete