children's writer

Love Lists and Theme Songs

Nov 9, 2012
A few weeks ago I did a Road Trip Wednesday post that was inspired by Stephanie Perkins' idea of love lists. A love list is basically a list of things you love about your WiP. I love the idea so much that I'm going to stick with it.

These are a few things I'm loving about my current WiP, Just Another Moonlit Night. 

1. The Jazz music - Over the months I've acquired a taste for older music. Some of my favorites are Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee, Lewis Armstrong, and Maxine Sullivan. My main character's mother also has an ear for it and plays it constantly.

           That night, in the darkness of my room, I lay in bed while my mother played jazz music loudly and sipped even more red wine with her invisible friends. I closed my eyes and imagined her swaying around the room, pretending there was a handsome suitor in her company. 

2. The name Coco - I know some people might think Coco Lee is an odd name, but it's probably my favorite character name so far. Coco's mother is obsessed with all things Coco Chanel hence the name.

Coco, a name bestowed upon me by my mother who had an obsession with all things Coco Chanel, was a name I felt I couldn’t live up to. In my mind, Coco was long limbed with waist length blonde hair and an impeccable sense of style. She hung out at cafĂ©s, didn’t work at them. She was full of talent, could draw, sing, and dated beautiful boys—beautiful European boys.

Most of all, she loved adventure.

3. Beauty - I've mentioned before that my main character has self-esteem issues. I think it's one aspect of her that makes her more relatable.

            No one ever said that Coco Lee is such a beautiful girl.

4. Love and loss - Coco goes through quite a lot throughout her story and deals with loss in more ways than one.

        He closed the door behind him, and for a second I thought he was going to sweep me up into his arms and lay me on the bed. He didn’t.

I think "Forget Me Not" by The Civil Wars is a perfect theme song.



Have a wonderful weekend!
6 comments on "Love Lists and Theme Songs"
  1. So many wonderful aspects of your WiP to appreciate. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! It is such a wonderful thing to do, and I would imagine a great thing to look at when your feeling less that happy with your WiP. Think I will be doing this soon.
    Plus I adore the little snippets you've given us of your WiP :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. Your comment is very sweet. I'll be looking out for your love list.

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of love lists. :) Your WIP has some really great elements. Coco is an awesome name for a character.

    ReplyDelete