children's writer

Things We Love To Write About

Oct 8, 2012
We are all individuals with our own sense of style and interests. It definitely wouldn't be strange if some of the things we love appeared in more than one of our novels. I've realized that although all of novels are different in some way, there are certain aspects that are more or less the same.

For example, while browsing online the other day I came across this huge list of southern baby names. You can find it here if you're interested. For me, coming across this list was like coming across a treasurer chest of gold. Here are some things that I love writing about:

  1. The South - I've always had this deep fascination with the south. Louisiana especially. There's so much culture and history. But it's also very mysterious. 
  2. Small Town Girls - Maybe it's because I'm from the city, but I've always wished I'd grown up in a small town. 
  3. Family Dysfunction - My family is far from perfect, but I definitely don't have to deal with some of the things that my characters go through.
  4. Summer - I think this might be my favorite season. By having my novels take place during the summer, I can focus more on the story than on homework. I'm kidding. 
  5. Cute Boys - I think most of us love writing about these boys. 

That's all I can think of. What about you guys? If you wouldn't mind sharing, what are some things you love writing about?
12 comments on "Things We Love To Write About"
  1. I also enjoy writing about small town girls! And the South, but I'm talking the South of England lol. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Kyra. I love books set in Europe.

      Delete
  2. You've got a great list there.

    I like to write about mystical creatures and beings, tend toward bigger cities and I do like dragons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give me a good fairy story and I'm good to go. :)

      Delete
  3. We have much in common - though I think winter is as magical as summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tracey, Tx for following my blog. I'd love you to link onto the Thursday's Children bloghop because this post is all about the great stuff that inpsires your writing. Family dysfunction is HUGE in my books.
    p.s. I love New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Rhiann. Family dysfunction is always a fun topic to write about.

      Delete
  5. Ooo fun!

    Broken girls.
    The end of the world.
    Sister relationships.
    Cute boys ;0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely list, Kelley. I especially like sister relationships.

      Delete
  6. Hey Tracey, Thanks so much for joining in Thursday's Children. I love your list. I also kind of have an obsession with all things Southern Gothic even though I grew up in NYC. Did you ever watch the old 90s series "American Gothic"? Talk about small town dysfunction. I'm sure you'd like it ;-0 Kristina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Kristina. I've never seen American Gothic, but it does sound a bit familiar. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete