Oct 5, 2012

The Next Big Thing

Hey guys! It was a little quiet around here this week, and that was only because my internet was down. As for my laptop, I ended up having to send it to Dell to be fixed. I should have it back by next week.

My writer friend, Jadzia, tagged me a few weeks ago for The Next Big Thing. I told her I'd already done a similar meme, but today's Friday and I have nothing else to blog about. As always, thanks for reading.

What is the working title of your book?

South of Lonesome.

Where did the idea for the book come from?

It was inspired by another novel I was working on earlier this year--an adult Southern Gothic inspired by the late Delta Blues singer Robert Johnson. I wanted to make it more YA, so I decided to rewrite it. The novel is heavily influenced by the blues and that's what I love most about it.

What genre does your book fall under?

Like many of my other novels, it's definitely YA contemporary. I think it's a little heavier on the romance though.

What actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? 

I have no idea. I guess any young African American actress with really curly hair. I think she might look similar to model Jordan Richardson. As for Penn, the love interest, I have no idea.

What is a one sentence synopsis of your book?

Eighteen-year-old Shelby Porter longs to break free from her parents' strict rules, and she does when she meets the wild and courageous Penn. 

Bad. I know. But it's all I can come up with for now. 

Will your book be self-published, or represented by an agency?

I hope represented by an agency.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? 

I'm actually still working on it. I'm about 6,000 words in.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

I've always have a hard time with comparisons. I'd say any YA that focuses on family dysfunction and romance with a southern voice.

What else about your book might pique the readers interest?

A part from being inspired by Robert Johnson, it was also inspired by that Supernatural episode Crossroad Blues. Of course there aren't any supernatural elements, but there's a boy who's only friend is the harmonica he carries in his pocket.

Have a wonderful Friday you guys!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! Love the inspiration and the title! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! Love Robert Johnson's music. The hubby has been perfecting his guitar method on "Come On In My Kitchen" for years~ he loves playing with a slide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. I love the idea of your story being based on Robert Johnson. I recently completed a middle grade novel set in the south in the 1930s. It has a supernatural bent to it and I love drawing on the rich culture, food and slang of the south.

    Nice blog you have.

    ReplyDelete