children's writer

NaNoWriMo 2012

Oct 12, 2012
Hey guys! So like many of you I will be participating in NaNo this year. I'm super excited about it. I've never won, but I personally think it's a great way to get the ball rolling on a new project. This year I won't be a rebel. I'll be starting a brand new novel in a genre I've only attempted once or twice. Today I wanted to share some tidbits.

This year's NaNo Novel is officially titled IVY OF OUR HEARTS. I'm not sure if it's fantasy or magical realism. At first I wanted it to be magical realism, but after writing the short synopsis I'm not so sure anymore. What do you think?

Synopsis:

Ivy Fable hates the endless apple orchards of Effingham, Connecticut, but she knows nothing else. So when her parents tell her they’re moving, her world is pulled out from underneath her like an old carpet. Her best friend, Margaret Thomas, can’t believe the news either. In an instant, Margaret, who’s always full of bright ideas, comes up with a way for Ivy to stay.

They’ll run away.

Together they head off into the Connecticut woods with their backpacks filled with everything they’ll need to survive on their own. But the woods are deeper and darker than they can imagine, and by the time the pair realizes they've made a horrible mistake. It’s too late. They’re lost. Surrounded by endless trees with no cell phone signal, Ivy and Margaret decide all they can do now is wait. Wait to be found, or wait for the thick woods to swallow them whole.

While they wait, the two trade stories back and forth of things that might hide in the brambles and thickets. In reality, all seems ordinary to Ivy and Margaret, until a boy named Philippe appears to them one evening. Agitated and hungry, Ivy and Margaret think they’re seeing things. But Philippe with hair as dark and sleek as a raven’s feather and eyes as blue as ink from a pen, convinces the two to come with him.
                                                                                                      
As the three of them journey on and discover all of the wonders and beauty the woods have to offer, they find themselves falling into a deep and complicated love. It’s Philippe and Ivy. Margaret and Philippe. But as time passes and the days grow cool, Ivy and Margaret become weary.  Philippe’s love for the two of them becomes tiring, and they long to go home. But for Ivy and Margaret, who’s lived so long in the woods consumed by Philippe’s love, there might not be a home to go back to.
                                                                                                
At least not one that’s truly real.

---

I've also created an extremely bad cover, and I'm working on the playlist.


Will any of you be doing NaNo this year?

Image: Stockvault
14 comments on "NaNoWriMo 2012"
  1. That sounds like an incredibly interesting concept, and one I would definitely be interested in reading! Good luck with NaNo.
    I am doing it again this year, still working on exactly what I'm going to be doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. I can't wait to read about your novel.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea for the story, Tracey. It seems really different and interesting. I think it would be a great read! I'm so excited you're doing NaNo! Good luck. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm super excited for it, too.

      Delete
  3. I've never done Nano - I think mainly because I write pretty consistently and don't want the pressure. Your story idea is intriguing! Good luck with getting those words down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for wishing me luck, Jaye. I need it.

      Delete
  4. This sounds really awesome! I have a thing for deep, dark, creepy forest LOL Great idea!
    I cross my fingers for you and your word count!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nickey. My fingers are crossed, too. :D

      Delete
  5. Good luck with it, Tracey! I'm still considering whether to do NaNo or not, I think I'll decide nearer the time. When the entire blogosphere is getting so excited about it it's hard to resist... I'll just have to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do decide to give it a go. :)

      Delete
  6. This sounds awesome and like something I'd pick up. Good luck on NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the very sweet comment, Rissa.

      Delete
  7. I'm impressed that you have a synopsis together already! I need to get on that, since I'm doing NaNo too! Your story sounds really interesting. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ghenet. I can't wait to read your synopsis. :)

      Delete