children's writer

GUTGAA Meet and Greet

Sep 3, 2012
Hello all! Today is the very first day of the Gearing Up to Get an Agent Blogfest. 


Questions for the Meet and Greet

First A Little Bit About Me (I'm never good at writing these things).

I'm a twenty-year-old studying Writing and Literature at a little college in NY. I've never been good at math, but I love reading as long as it isn't required reading. I enjoy the smell of grass, making wishes, and daydreaming. I recently discovered that I love to watch Sex and the City, but my all time favorite show is Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I love horror movies, scarey TV shows, anything that will scare me. I just like being scared. I'm afraid of heights and the dark, which I know totally contradicts the previous sentence. I'm a lover of words and art. My dream career would be to be a children's and young adult author and create pretty things part time. 

-Where do you write?

I just wrote a post about this. Most of my writing takes place in my room, lying in bed. Sometimes I write on the couch or at the table.

-Quick. Go to your writing space, sit down and look to your left. What is the first thing you see?

A wall. It's light green.

-Favorite time to write?

I like to write in the afternoon and at night. My morning hours are spent browsing the web. 

-Drink of choice while writing?

Tea. My favorite is Lipton. It comes in a yellow and red box and I have it with three scoops of sugar and milk.

-When writing , do you listen to music or do you need complete silence?

Sometimes I listen to Pandora, but nothing too loud. I like listening to the soundtracks for movies because the music usually doesn't have lyrics.

-What was your inspiration for your latest manuscript and where did you find it?

My latest manuscript was inspired by another manuscript I'd been working on earlier this year. It was a southern gothic, and I wanted it to be more YA.  

-What's your most valuable writing tip?

My favorite quote: "Start telling the stories that only you can tell, because there'll always be better writers than you..." -Neil Gaiman. 

Thanks for stopping by and reading.
42 comments on "GUTGAA Meet and Greet"
  1. Yay for writing in bed! It's the best place! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracey! Nice to meet you!
    That's an awesome Gaiman quote. So true. I love the idea of your southern gothic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great answers, Tracey! I like that quote. And Pandora is awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that Gaiman quote - hadn't heard it before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tracey, I'm a huge Buffy fan, too. Have you read the season 8 comic. It starts where the series ended, and it's written by Josh. Good luck with GUTGAA:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tracey! LOVE Buffy too! And I love your Gaiman quote. Good luck with GUTGAA!

    And Angie - I didn't know there was a comic? Definitely have to pick that up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Tracey,

    Nice to meet you. I enjoyed your answers to the GUTGAA questions. Did you know you drink your tea like the British? Perhaps it gives you an accent. Happy writing!

    Warm regards,

    Don #138

    ReplyDelete
  8. Movie soundtracks are PERFECT for writing. Totally agree.

    And I think anything required isn't nearly as much fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Neil Gaiman quote really helps me put a few things into perspective :-)

    Let's have a great time with GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your quote! isn't it interesting how something you've already written can inspire another WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good idea- to listen to soundtracks. I can't listen to songs with lyrics either :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My walls are green in my writing room as well. Following you and very nice to meet you!

    AA
    http://anallegedauthor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woo hoo, Southern Gothic! I LOVE that genre.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Tracey! I am totally not a horror movie person. They stick in my brain forever and make me think warped things at freaky times. Give me a romantic comedy any day. :)
    Good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice to meet you Tracey! Good luck with all the GUTGAA action!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that quote. It is powerful and paints a vivid picture. I am making my meet and greet rounds. I wanted to tell you that I discovered (years ago) that I loved Sex in the City. I did not start watching it until it was on like the 4th season and then I bought the DVD's and watched them all at once. I was obsessed. I also love Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the television show-not the film). I watch the reruns while getting ready for work in the morning. It doesn't come on very often anymore, but about six years ago it came on back to back at 6 and again at 7 a.m. and it became part of my morning ritual.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hear you, Tracey. Required reading's for the birds. My favorite books were the ones the teachers let me pick myself. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooo, Buffy's my favorite, too! Been watching it all weekend while I was sick in bed. Totally worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh that's a great quote! I love it. That's cool that you are in school and writing. Good luck with both! It is nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There are a lot of tea drinkers around. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! Glad to see you're in the GUTGAA blog hop. Best of luck with everything. It's so exciting to finally have a finished MS to participate in these blog contests.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Tracey. I'm a fan of Sex and the City too. Great show. Love the quote. It's too true! Good luck with your writing. It's nice to meet you and I look forward to seeing you around during the GUTGAA events. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree - movie soundtracks are great for writing! One of my faves is Last of the Mohicans. Nice to *meet* you as part of GUTGAA.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice to meet you! The quote is great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi from another GUTGAA participant.

    I love the quote. Neil Gaiman FTW.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loved your bio! So nice to meet you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi there from another GUTGAA-er! Lovely blog. Good luck with your rediesgn - you've already got a view for beautiful photography. :)
    Kat
    http://beyondthehourglassbridge.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the pictures and posts. Cool beans.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Tracey! That's a great quote! If you love the scary movies and shows you should definitely watch the Walking Dead. Soooo good:) Thanks for being a part of GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your quote! Have you ever drunk Lipton's Rooibos Tea? Delicious. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi! My WIP is a middle grade fashion-centric mystery so I enjoyed your latest post. Best of luck with GUTGAA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, should have left these:
      themysteryofwriting.wordpress.com
      midwesternfarmgirl.wordpress.com

      Delete
  32. Great quote! Nice to meet you! New follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi...nice to meet you. So, I'm curious. What kinds of pretty things do you like to create? I love crafting too, but I find that--ever since I started writing five years ago--I don't do nearly as much of it. It's like all my creative impulses get used up writing and I don't have much time/energy left over for other time-filler kinds of things. I have five kids, so there's not a whole lot of time to fill. haha. Do you find you have the same problem (as far as not having enough creativity left over to craft?) I'm always saying I'm going to find more time for it, but I never seem to. sigh.

    Anyway, good luck with your writing and GUTGAA! I just started a new blog (I got inspired by all the amazing ones on here) I would love it if you could stop by! I'm kind of in desperate need of followers. :) Hope I see you over there!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Stopping by to say hi. Nice to meet you. Love the writing tip. Good luck with GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great to get to know more about you Tracey. Loving the new layout :) That quote is wonderful (but of course it would be because its from Neil Gaiman :P)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Nice to meet you, Tracey! I love your writing tip. I hadn't heard that quote before :)

    ReplyDelete