Sep 20, 2012

Full-length Novel

Hey guys! So yesterday I set out on a mission to get my 45,000 word novel up to 50,000 words. Today, I just so happened to achieve that goal. I couldn't help but do the happy dance. This novel of mine started out as a wee thing, only 42,000 words long. After receiving some very helpful advice in the WriteOnCon forums I managed to bump up the word count some. Now, for the very first time in my writing career, I can say that I've written a novel that is actually novel length.

I once thought there was no way I could possibly make this novel longer, but I did. My motivation for this was the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award. I've been thinking about giving the 2013 contest a go. I'm happy to at least have the option to now that my novel is long enough. I think 50,000 words is a safe word count for contemporary YA. One of the things I focused on while I was adding was dialog. There were a lot of places where I could add more action, so I did.

One thing I learned from all of this: I definitely can write a longer novel. All it takes is a little more patience.

That's it for me guys. Congrats to those of you who made it into the GUTGAA pitch round. Congrats to those of you who made it into the final round. I read some of the entries and there's a lot of talent out there. I haven't forgotten about my 200th follower contest, which I think is going to be more of a giveaway.

Have a wonderful day! I guess this means I'll be blogging frequently again.

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on the great word count! 50,000 words is definitely a good length for contemporary YA. I've heard a few things about the Amazon Breakthrough Novel thing, but still don't know the details. Good luck if you do enter it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. I'm super excited for the contest. I think I might enter after all.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! That's great. :) I have a hard time with upping my word count, too. It's odd, I feel like most people have the opposite problem. Glad to know I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Rachel. It does seem like so many people have the opposite problem, having to cut instead of add. Sometimes I wish I had that problem. :D

      Delete
  3. Congrats, I'm so happy for you! I bet you feel good. I know how it is to feel good about something you've been working toward for a while .I hope everything goes well with your book. Three cheers for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel good. I feel really good. Thanks for the cheers. :D

      Delete
  4. Well done! I'm glad to see all your hard work has paid off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Fiona. I'm doing one last read through before I focus on another novel. I'm happy that I spent so much time working on it.

      Delete