children's writer

Why I Write Contemporary YA and MG Fiction

Aug 22, 2012
Good morning! I guess I'm blogging almost every day this week. By the title of the post you can probably  guess what I'll be talking about today. Truthfully, it's a question that I hadn't asked myself up until a few days ago. I think I've figured it out for the most part.


These are five reasons why I write contemporary YA and MG fiction:

 When I began writing in 2009 I was feeling pretty down, and finally here came these characters who understood. Writing about ordinary boys and girls facing real life situations is kind of like therapy for me.

My high school years weren't my best years, and through my writing I get to re-imagine those years. They usually include boys and lots of kissing.

Real life teens are just as extraordinary and can do extraordinary things, too.

I think these are the stories I enjoyed most as a kid. Although I did love fantasy and science fiction as well, I enjoyed reading books about kids like me. Those girls and boys were my role models.

I write contemporary fiction simply because it suits my natural voice, and I enjoy beautiful writing in the most natural of settings.

As always, happy writing!

And for you guys who haven't heard, SCBWI just launched their On-The-Verge Emerging Voices Award for writers and illustrators from an ethnic and/or cultural background that is traditionally underrepresented in children's literature in America. If you're interested you can find out more here.
2 comments on "Why I Write Contemporary YA and MG Fiction"
  1. I write contemporary YA for many of these same reasons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, thanks for the comment. It's nice to be in good company. :D

      Delete