children's writer

Success: My Way or the Highway

Aug 24, 2012
I'm currently deep in the query trenches and trying to remain sane. It's true what the say. There's nothing quite like rejections to really make me want this even harder.

One question I've asked myself in the midst of all this is: Am I on the right path?

I thought I was but as the Rs keep rolling in and I'm slowly nearing the double digits, maybe I've been going about this all wrong. I'd like to believe that I am in control of my own destiny. Although I do believe in a higher power, I'd like to believe that he or she is behind me 100%. 

The thing is I'm scared. I'm scared that no matter how many novels I write I'm never going to get the response I want. So is continuing to put myself out there even worth it? I've had this nagging feeling that maybe what I want isn't what I need right now. And that scares the heck out of me because I've put so much time into my writing, agonizing over every single word, to not have this work out my way.

This is what I want. 

Yet, it might not be what the "universe" wants for me. 

I spoke with my CPs about it, and they definitely told me what I needed to hear. I'm still going to continue my search, but I think it might be time to take another route with his novel of mine. Still, who knows.

Do you guys truly believe that we create our own success? Or are some things just written in stone.

I have to admit after writing this I feel a lot better.
8 comments on "Success: My Way or the Highway "
  1. I am of the personal belief that if your future was something written in stone, perhaps we'd have no free will. But because we do have free will, we have the ability to seek and find. To act and do. Become who and what our hearts desire because of action, not inaction.

    It sounds like your heart is in writing and writing is in your heart. To deny it would be to deny the blood that runs through it. Writers get rejections by the dozens and by the hundreds.

    Maybe this MS is the one to break in your writing chops and another is waiting in the wings for you to let it free to fly. But it is by what you choose to do - or not do - that can open the doors for things to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Angela. Your comment is very insightful. I definitely agree. Maybe you're right about this project. After all, I do have other projects in the works.

      Delete
  2. Tracey, you know I think you have real talent. Everyone gets tons of rejections before it 'happens' for them. I saw Jay Asher at a conference and he said it took him twelve years to get published! (Hopefully it won't take you that long!)
    The point is, you need to just keep working through the times of doubt. It will happen for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton, Rachel. I really needed to hear that.

      Delete
  3. Ditto to what Rachel said. You can't always use the publishing business to gauge your level of success. Are you a member of Verla Kay's blue boards - there are so many posts there about people on the verge of quitting it all together and then, miraculously, the miracle happens. You might hit a wall, need a break, need a diversion, but if this is your heart path you want veer forever. Stay strong - rejections mean you're putting it out there. (P.S. I had 27 rejections for the first ms I queried. 39 for the second - and finally signed with an agent only to be let go a year later. 21 rejections for the most recent ms which as you know I just signed)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should get over this slump I'v been in, huh? I'm definitely not willing to give up so easily. I am a member of Verla Kay's blue boards, but I don't post. Thanks for sharing this with me, Jaye.

      Delete
  4. I always hope for the former rather than the latter :) I know that there are easier things to love than writing. The WIP I'm working on (while querying my current manuscript) is my 10th manuscript. I've queried all of my project, so you can do the math on rejections. I'm still plugging away~ I think I've adjusted my expectations so I'm not ever disappointed to the point I want to quit. It's hard, though. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Jess. Your perseverance is truly inspiring. I definitely will hang in there.

      Delete