children's writer

Middle Grade on My Mind & Excerpt

Aug 13, 2012
I hardly ever talk about middle grade novels on this blog, which sucks because the first novel I've ever completed was a middle grade novel. It's still near and dear to my heart. While browsing on Goodreads I came across two 2013 middle grade novels that I wouldn't mind reading. I can't even remember the last middle grade novel I read, but I would read these two. It helps that they both have stunning covers.


Beholding Bee by Kimberly Newton Fusco
Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool

Lately, I've had the urge to go back to that middle novel of mine, which I've long since abandoned. In honor of it, here's a short teaser. 

Before Papa’s car comes rattling up to the Rivera's front door, I take one last good look at Sara’s backyard. It’s large but not as big as ours, and where the soil used to be brown and damp, it’s now golden and dried out, the kind of soil that would scratch at your knees and fingers if you attempted to plant anything in it. It isn’t growing soil.

“Mama says the earth is angry with us,” I say to Papa on the way home.

He shakes his head and sighs. “I don’t know why your mother tells you such nonsense.”

I turn my gaze back towards the window. This is a farming town, or was. A lot of the people who lived in the white and gray two-story houses packed up. Papa says it’s because this land has nothing to offer us anymore.

The car bounces along on parts of the road that’s uneven. Papa says that Mama’s baking apple pie, and I want to ask if they were fresh apples. But I know that’s a silly question. I can’t even remember the last time I had an apple plucked right off a tree.

There isn’t much to see out the window because there isn’t much to see in these parts of Louisiana except some dying plants and animals.

A coyote standing by the side of the road stares at me, and I stare at him as we drive pass. And I know what he’s thinking. This land is theirs now. Even our own backyards aren't safe anymore. 


As always, thanks for stopping by, reading, and commenting.
8 comments on "Middle Grade on My Mind & Excerpt"
  1. Cool covers. I'll have to check them out. :) I love middle grade! Breadcrumbs is one of my favorites.
    Love the excerpt, as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. They are pretty cool. I've heard a lot about Breadcrumbs. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in a bookstore. :)

      Delete
  2. I love those covers, and I think you should get back to your MG novel. You have a good voice for MG. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Linda. I think I will as soon as I finish writing my current WIP. :D

      Delete
  3. I agree with Linda. Your MG voice is great. Though.. your older voice is great too. So, you win both ways :)

    ReplyDelete