children's writer

Comp Titles

Aug 6, 2012
I never gave much thought to comp tittles with my last novel, but the more queries I read it seems like a lot of other writers are using them. Because of this I went on the hunt for comp titles for my own novel. I even pulled out a big box of books I'd planned to donate to my local library. That's when I realized that while there may be the perfect comp title for my novel out there, I certainly haven't read it yet.

I have to agree with all of the other writers who've said comp titles are a great way to show agents that you know the current market. Although, it would definitely be silly to use a book you haven't read as a comp title, especially if it's a book said agent represents. That is a total no, no. It would be awkward if someone you want to impress were to ask you your opinion on a book you haven't even read.

I've put some thought into this, and asked myself what movies have I seen would my book be most comparable to in tone since I haven't read a book that is. And while I'm still not one hundred percent certain on this comparison if I had to use a comp title I would say NEVER A HAPPY ENDING would appeal most to fans who enjoyed the quiet, tender, and hopeful tone of A WALK TO REMEMBER.

What about you guys? What book our movie would your novel be most comparable to?
8 comments on "Comp Titles"
  1. I have no idea. I don't put comps in my queries. I'm too scared to compare my novels to real published books! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Rachel. I haven't used any either, and I hear you don't want to compare your book to one that's too popular.

      Delete
  2. I don't put comps in my queries, but I've been told by a friend that my manuscript A Place to Call Home is comparable to the movie My Girl. I've never watched it, so I wouldn't know. And I guess my manuscript for A Girl Named Jimmy would be a cross between 90 Minutes in Heaven and The Five People You Meet in Heaven. But, of course, I've never put that in a query. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the movie My Girl. It was one of my favorites growing up. From what I read, I would agree with your friend. :D

      Delete
  3. My quick "X meets X" pitch for my WIP is "The Time Traveler's Wife meets Downton Abbey" -- so that kinda gives you the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your WIP sounds awesome, Becca. Thanks for sharing. :D

      Delete
  4. I compared mine to The Duff and Story of A Girl both of which explore emerging sexuality in teen girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't have a comp title for our collab. We'll see how that works...

    I loved a Walk To Remember though. :)

    ReplyDelete