Jun 15, 2012

Fashion Meets Fiction 1950s

Before I discovered writing and got fully engrossed in the online writing community I was absolutely sure my passion was for fashion. I even studied fashion merchandising at a local college during my first few years of higher education. Though things have changed I still find that I love to read fashion blogs (or at least stare at the pretty pictures) just as much as I love to read the posts by you guys, the writers.

Like a lot of girls and women I do love pretty things, and I believe so much inspiration can be found from something as trivial as a designer dress in the window of a vintage shop, which is why I'm always looking for an opportunity to mention what my characters are wearing. I know, I know that isn't exactly considered good characterization, but I do enjoy playing dress up with my characters once in awhile. 

While browsing the web, I came across Ulyana Sergeenko's F/W 2011-2012 lookbook and had a YA moment, instant love. You guys probably don't know this about me, but I am a huge fan of anything 50s and 60s, and would find any reason to set my novels in those eras. Ulyana's line was inspired by the 1950s Vogue Soviet Union, and it makes me wish I had the balls to actually write a historical novel. 


These pictures were a few of my favorites. It makes you wonder what kind of girl would have worn these ensembles, doesn't it? 

To view the entire collection and find out more you can visit Behance

10 comments:

  1. OMG, that 4th dress (and her clutch/purse and gloves) blew me away. Hello Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the same thing I thought when I saw it. :D

      Delete
  2. I probably would have worn them; I love pretty dresses.

    On another note, I've been trying to respond to your email, but it keeps bouncing back with a failure notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Linda. Funny thing, I was having a hard time responding to the last message you sent me too. Maybe instead of responding to the message I sent you can send a new one. *shrugs*

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Ghenet. I'm definitely going to keep my eye on this designer.

      Delete
  4. I can sense a wonderful fashionably fun YA book set in the 50's coming from this, a heart-shaped face dame breaking in to the industry after getting caught breaking in to a fashion studio, perhaps caught by the designer while pretending to sashay in the dimness of a flashlight the young girl left on.

    Go for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fab! I LOVE the second one - black with white collar and blood-red shoes! So beautiful and prim.

    No reason you can't bring the 50's back, add a little golly-gee to your wip... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Daisy. They are fab, aren't they?

      Delete