Jun 11, 2012

The Best Books Live Within Us

Hello everyone.

Yesterday I read a very lovely interview featuring the talented Taryn Albright. If you're interested and haven't read it already you can read it here. As a twenty-year-old writer seeing other young writers accomplish so much at such a young age really inspires me. There was one question that Ms. Purdie asked that really got me thinking. Actually the entire interview made me ask myself what exactly I was trying to accomplish with my writing if any of my novels were ever published.

The simple answer would be to entertain, but in all honesty when I think about the kind of books I love and why I love them it wasn't just because they entertained it was because of the author's ability to create a story, characters, and world that I would think about weeks after I read that very last line. As one of my favorite authors said, the best books live within us. And that's the kind of emotional response I want anyone who reads my novels to have.

Even if it's just one person who feels this way, I'd be happy.

Would you guys agree? I would love to hear your thoughts on this. By the way, hello new followers, and thanks to everyone who commented on my last posts'.

6 comments:

  1. I agree. I think most people want to get an emotional response, whether it's to make you cry, laugh out loud, or make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Definitely! Thanks for the comment, Rachel.

      Delete
  2. Aspiring to be a published author is hard, Tracey, especially when there are hundreds of thousands of others aspiring for the same job, and thousands of others who are already doing the job. But I think most of us who are apiring have that special story within us that will either entertain, enlighten, or educate someone else. And that is why we do it. At least, that's why I do it. So keep moving forward. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As hard as it is to become published I've had a great time doing so, wonderful actually. There's enough room in publishing for anyone who loves to write/create to at least give it one shot. You never know. And some writers get published because they've got something really special, some because they have the ability to write really commercial novels, and some both.

      I will keep moving forward because I love to write/create, and even if I never get published that's reason enough to never quit.

      Thanks for the comment, Linda.

      Delete
  3. I definitely think it's all about making an emotional/spiritual connection. When I read, whether it's to escape or learn, I want that connection. I want to finish a book and think about the characters for days, to flip right back to the beginning and read it again to see what I missed the first time.

    I hope to write those kinds of books, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I so agree! To be able to move people with words. It is an amazing thing in my book:)

    ReplyDelete