May 7, 2012

Dust It off Bloghop: What I've Learned

If you're looking for my Writer's Voice entry you can find it here.


It's day three of the Dust It off Bloghop, and I'm supposed to share what I've learned. Wow, where do I begin. IT ALL FALLS DOWN was the third novel I'd ever attempted to write, and I definitely saw a major improvement in my writing. Unlike my first two attempted novels I didn't get very far in it, but it was the first one that got a little attention.

I lurked on forums and blogs and learned how to write a pitch and a query letter. I got feedback from other writers on sites like Inkpop that said even though my writing was good it still needed work, and those were the types of comments that pushed me to work even harder. They really helped me grow as a writer, even though at the time they wounded my ego.

They say it takes at least ten years to become really good at something, but in the two years and some that I've been writing seriously I've learned so much already. I'm a lot more confident. Criticism doesn't make me squirm as much as it use to, and I truly feel like this is it. Writing children's and teen fiction is what I'm meant to do because I enjoy doing it.

When I think about the characters and places I could create, that's the best feeling in the world.

Thanks again Theresa and Cortney for putting this bloghop together. It was a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Thanks to everyone who followed and commented. It really means a lot to me.

14 comments:

  1. The Writer's Voice contest sounds so cool! I can't wait until I actually finish what I'm writing so I can enter some of those. Will check out your entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Steph. If it weren't for you I wouldn't have been able to enter. Thanks a bunch.

      Delete
  2. I love that you're doing it because you enjoy it, that's key, I think! And that you persisted through the critiques! Thanks for joining our bloghop, Tracey! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. It was truly a ton of fun. :D

      Delete
  3. You mentioned not squirming so much when it comes to criticisms. Well, I can say I understand where you're coming from. When I first got really serious about getting published, I had a hard time with criticisms, wanting to justify things until I started realizing that I won't be there with each reader to justify things to them, that the feedback can be extremely valuable in helping to reword or rework something in a much more easy-to-comprehend way. So asking for feedback still makes me nervous and jittery, but I get excited for the constructive criticisms because I'm looking at ways in which to improve. Blogger Linda Jackson may not reallize it but one of her comments, in particular, struck a very good chord with me even though she felt she may not have been the best beta for my YA urban fanstasy/dystopian mash up. But what she mentioned resonated in such a way that I can't wait to implement it when I begin revisions for MINGLED.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela. Thanks for commenting as always. I know what you mean. When I first started writing back in 2009 I shared some of my work on a very popular forum and received feedback that made me feel so horrible I vowed to never share my work again. But looking back on it now if it weren't for that comment I probably wouldn't have improved as much as much as I think I have.

      Good luck with MINGLED.

      Delete
  4. I so agree with the handling criticism thing. I think my acceptance was more like a parabola. At first, I wanted a lot of help. Then I thought I reached a point where I was pretty good. Then I realize that when I start thinking that, I'm screwed. Just have to keep receiving feedback. Keep getting better.

    Your writing is really, really good Tracey. You're gonna make it girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Kelley. Receiving feedback is hard, but at the end of the day it does make us better writers.

      Delete
  5. When it comes to writing I don't think we ever stop learning and it's one of the things I love about it. You can measure your growth with each manuscript you write. Like you I've learned to accept criticism and even embrace it. Put me through the ringer I don't care because I'm only going to come out stronger.

    Good luck and thanks for hopping with us. I really enjoyed your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa. I had a lot of fun participating.

      Delete
  6. Well said, Tracey. And good luck with The Voice competition. I'm cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. I hope luck is on my side. :D

      Delete
  7. It is amazing and exciting how quickly we get better. Thanks for being brave enough to share your excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tracey, I have an award for you on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete