May 30, 2012

Camp NaNoWriMo

Hello! So a few days ago I decided to sign up for Camp NaNo because I thought it would be a great way to finally start working on my WIP again. For those of you who are wondering what Camp NaNo is it's actually not that different from it's big brother November NaNoWriMo. The end goal is still the same, a 50,000 word novel in a month. Just like last year this year I am a NaNo rebel since the project I'll be working on isn't a new one.

I've already written up the query. I actually shared another version of it a few months back. It's a little longer than it needs to be, and I'm sure it still needs some work. I'm still going to share it anyway because I need dome help from you guys in picking an appropriate title.

As of now it's being called AMERICA'S SWEETHEART.

---

In a city like New York some girls will kill for fame.

Seventeen-year-old Marylyn Greyer will be on the first Greyhound bus out of Dunmore, Virginia, on her eighteenth birthday. She’s going to be a famous actress on Broadway. Marylyn’s life is anything but glamorous. She lives at home with her momma and her new boyfriend, a filthy drunk who can’t seem to keep his hands to himself. Everyday Marylyn reminds herself that things are going to get better once she leaves Dunmore.

With only one suitcase and two thousand dollars to her name, Marylyn leaves for the bus terminal the morning of her 18th. Her only goodbye was the letter she slipped under her momma’s bedroom door. But after only a few days of being in the Big Apple, Marylyn begins to realize that it takes more than just a pretty face and natural born talent to be a star. To make matters worse, she’s running out of money fast.

Marylyn’s luck changes when she gets a job as a waitress at a popular restaurant. There she meets a smooth talking, handsome young man by the name of Connor Mason. Connor is smart, mystifying, and introduces her to some of the high movers and shakers of New York. Connor believes in Marylyn, tells her she can have the world if she wants, and she believes him. So when he tells her his murderous plan to bring down his closest ally, one of New York’s golden boys, and someone he deems an informant, Marylyn has to make a choice. She can stand by Connor and finally get the recognition she deserves and possibly a lifetime in prison, or give up on her dreams of being someone and go back to her old life in Dunmore.

I've come up with three titles for this novel, but I'm not sure which suits the story the best. Here's what I have so far:
  1. America's Sweetheart (current title)
  2. Girl of the Hour
  3. The Belle of 42nd Street
  4. Other (if you have another title suggestion)
I do know that if this novel ever gets published the title might still change anyway, but I've heard that a stunning title might also help catch the eye of an agent. *wink, wink*

Thanks for reading or stopping by in advance. 

7 comments:

  1. I am doing CampNaNo in June and it's my first time! I really like the sound of your WIP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Kyra. I can't wait to read about everyone's progress.

      Delete
  2. Sounds good, Tracey. I like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a SUPER intriguing story Tracey.

    I do think you might want to convey the choice Marylyn must make between murder and dreams in the title. At least the vibe that I'm getting from the query is that she's so desperate to stay and achieve her dreams that she would be okay with killing someone. THAT'S crazy desperation.

    Murder for Dreams

    Ah, I can't come up with anything better right now... haha.

    Thanks for the macaroon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch for the title suggestion, Kelley. Titles are so hard.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! They ARE hard. But I think when you get 'the one' you know. At least that's how it's worked for me.

      Granted, agents/publishers will probably change the ones I think are 'the one' but, whatever :) haha

      Delete