Mar 9, 2012

WIP: The Movie

Hey guys! Today I'm participating in another blogfest called WIP: The Movie. You can find out more here if you would like to join in on the fun.

Okay, so last week I spent a ton of time looking up actresses who I felt would fit the role of Cassidy in Summer Spell. I found one or two, but then it dawned on me that there just aren't a lot of young African American actresses out there who aren't light skinned. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it really put it a limit on my choices.

In the end I chose three actresses to play the role of Cassidy, Sara, and Marsha.

To play my main character Cassidy Harwell, I went with the young Keke Palmer. She's about eighteen-years-old now, but her younger self would have been perfect for the role of Cassidy.






Cassidy's best friend, Sara, is of Cuban descent and actress Zendaya Coleman really fits the part. I don't know much about this actress, but I saw her picture and just knew she would make a perfect Sara.












I've always been a big Angela Bassett fan ever since I saw the movie What's Love Got to Do With It, and she just naturally fit the role of Cassidy's mama, Marsha.










I spent just as much time choosing the right music as I did the actresses. I settled on two songs. Corinne Bailey Rae's Put Your Records On because I adore the lyrics, and Beth Rowley's version of A Sunday Kind of Love because it really sets the right tone.


That's it for me. Thank you Kyra and Rachel for hosting this. I had a ton of fun. 

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful actresses! I adore Put Your Records On, it's such a happy song!

    Great choices, thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Put Your Records On! Great song. And I really love Keke Palmer. Great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect cast! Can't go wrong with any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Put Your Records On is wonderful! Love both of these songs. Great choices!
    Thanks for playing along with us today. I'm glad I found your blog through this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those songs, and what a great pick of characters! I loved Keke in Akeela and the Bee!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela Bassist is badass. She'd be a good mama bear. Great choices! (New follower)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard the Beth Rowley song before. It is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. That would a cool cast. It would be nice to see Keke and Angela paired up again. They were great in Akeelah and the Bee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great, great songs and unfortunately you are right about the actress problem. You made some great choices though :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great song! I'm singing in my chair and twirling around. And great choices, both are beautiful girls they look like they could be sisters actually. New follower *waves*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the wonderful comments guys. Hello Theresa! Thanks for following.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely songs, lovely cast. The girls are both DOLLS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent post! Your WIP sounds great, and I love the song choices! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your girls are gorgeous!
    I love seeing diversity in literature. There is not enough, and there should be more! Especially in MG and YA.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous! Beautiful characters and I love the music too! Love your choices :)

    ReplyDelete