Mar 11, 2012

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

I just finished reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, and I have to say that it had to be one of the best books I’ve read this year so far. 

Towards the end of the book I found myself crying, really crying. I’m not going to go too far into what the book was about, but it really touched me. I couldn’t understand, and I still don’t, how people could have such horrible lives set out for them and be okay with it.

The whole concept of being a donor and then completing horrified me. Throughout the book the main character Kathy H. reminisces about her time as a young girl, her best friends Ruth and Tommy, at a school for special children called Hailsham. She also reminisces about her life at the cottages after Hailsham.

But it wasn’t just Kathy’s memories that touched me. I thought a lot about life and death, how someday this will all be over, and all we’ll have with us are our memories. When our friends and family members have passed on, all there will be left to do is look back.

This was a great book. I cared truly about the characters, all of them. I would recommend this book to anyone. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the review Tracy. It sounds like I should read this with a box of kleenex...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Kelley. It was a great read.

      Delete