Feb 15, 2012

WIP Wednesday

I've never participated in WIP Wednesday, but thought I should since I haven't posted in awhile. So far I've finished the second draft of Love You Madly. If there's one thing I've realized with my writing it's that no matter how big I think my idea is in the beginning my novels always turn out to be pretty quiet. Love You Madly is a quiet novel. Not that it bothers me because I like quiet books. The problem is they are a hard sell, or so I've heard.

Last week I read an awesome post here on how to use Blake Snyder's beat sheet for revising your novel. I haven't attempted to use it yet, but I will in the near future. I want to make this the best novel it can be. I'm still so in love with the characters, Christine, Tommy, Matthew. They all have a special place in my heart as corny as that may sound.

On top of being quiet, Love You Madly is now at 42,000 words. I don't know what it is with me, but my novels are always short. I know I blogged about this in the past. Maybe it's because I tend to fly by the seat of my pants. Maybe I should try outlining again. Though, I find when I outline I always seem to get really bored part of the way through and give up.

I can't wait to finish revising. Truthfully, it's my least favorite part of the novel writing process.

What's your take on quiet novels? Do you love them, hate them?

4 comments:

  1. I don't mind quiet novels. I'm a fly by the seat of my pants girl too and if I outline I get bored :) It's like when I write off the cuff I even surprise myself. With outlining I lose that element :)

    And its not corny at all that you love your characters. I love mine too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Kelley. That's what I love about being a pantser, the surprise element. :)

      Delete
  2. My books end up short too and I have to beef them up during revisions. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's exactly what I'm attempting to do with Love You Madly. Thanks for the comment. :)

      Delete