Feb 20, 2012

When Inspiration Strikes

I've heard before that you shouldn't wait for inspiration to strike you should just write. But inspiration is a funny thing. It always seems to come around when you aren't looking for it.

I can remember exactly what inspired my novel ideas, or at least the ones that I am most proud of. I had just finished watching the popular 80s movie Heathers when I came up with the idea for Summer Spell. I was lying on my bed staring up at the ceiling when this scene popped into my head: two young girls standing on a cliff. They were going to jump.

Quickly, I opened up a new document and began typing. Of course that scene changed as I wrote, but the end result was much more satisfying than what I had originally planned. Just like so many of my other novel ideas, Summer Spell was inspired.

On a side note, I see now why so many of you love Pinterest. It is definitely a one stop shop for inspiration. After being on there for only a few hours already I have so many ideas. If you haven't joined you should. I promise you won't regret it.

Sometimes pictures capture so much that words cannot.

So tell me, do you just write or do you wait for inspiration to strike?

4 comments:

  1. It's funnym but since I have so many writing ideas sort of lulling about, I don't know if I can say I wait for inspiration to strike. I'm usually in the middle of other projects with a "shiney new idea" nudges its way into my mind. Does that mean I am stuck in a constant state of inspiration? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I wish I were stuck in a constant state of inspiration. I only have one or two new ideas at a time.

      Thanks for the comment, Angela.

      Delete
  2. Ummm...

    I was ten days into NaNo and I just wasn't feeling what I was writing. I was on a plane and I stopped writing and thought, 'what do I want to write about?'

    A character popped into my head and I went from there. Ten days later, 60,000 words typed I was finished.

    So I guess I sorta forced that inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 60,000 words in ten days is amazing.

      Thanks for the comment, Kelley.

      Delete