Jan 25, 2012

Old Projects: Alice and Olivia

While going through my shelved manuscripts I came across a novel that I thought I had put away for good, but something tells me that I'll be working on this manuscript again pretty soon. Although, I could tell while reading it that it needs to be rewritten. I'm only about eight thousand words in so rewriting shouldn't be too bad. I don't won't to put my other WIP aside, so I'll probably work on them both. It just sounds oh too sweet to leave lying around. Summer Spell is one of my middle grade novels I hope to publish someday, but when I think about Alice and Olivia my mind goes to wonderful places, mostly I see a lot of pink.

Here's the query:

Everybody thinks Alison's gone for good but twelve-year-old Olivia knows better. Even her cat Milo knows that sharing a double-sized strawberry muffin from Dillard’s Bakery makes you bonded for life. And what kind of friend would Olivia be if she believed her best friend was dead.

Just ask Olivia who she's been spending all of her time with when her parents are too busy dodging neighbors and shining their knick-knacks to notice. Only Alison knows where Olivia’s been hiding the pills, the secrets they'll never tell anyone, and their plans to run away to the Wild West.

But when Alison doesn't show up for their daily game of Wizards and Toads, something smells like catnip, and Olivia sets out on a mission to find her only friend. Except, how do you find someone who doesn’t exist—at least not anymore. But don’t try telling Olivia that. She knows everything about Alison and Alison would never leave. They pinkie promised. Bad things always happen when you break a pinkie promise, you know. Especially when you’re Olivia Jenkins and Alison's your best friend.

Alice and Olivia is a magical realism MG novel.  

So tell me, have you ever fell back in love with a project that you shelved?

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, the concept is beautiful Tracey! And the voice is SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelley. I really think it’s one of my better ones too.

      Delete
  2. This is wonderful! I love the charming narration of your query. I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to read about Olivia's quest from her point of view. No wonder you fell in love with this story again! (^__^)

    And, yes, I fell in love with a story I wrote in college. I then re-wrote it, re-researched it, and super-edited it. I love my characters even more now than I did before, and (I suspect) so will you (with Olivia and Alison).

    Pink. You're definitely right about the pink. I see it, too. (^__~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing feeling to fall back in love with something you thought would never see the light of day. I'm glad that you did. It really makes being a writer all the more special. :)

      Delete
  3. Olivia and Alison sounds so cute. I love the voice in this query. Congrats on finding it again. It's a wonderful feeling to find a project you love so much.

    I'm in the same boat. I found a project I'd started for my kinds when they were toddlers, but never finished because I didn't have time--because they were toddlers, lol. I worked on it durning NaNo, and I'm in love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete