children's writer

2012 Reading Challenge

Jan 9, 2012
One thing I've noticed is that since I've started writing seriously the amount of books I read per year has gotten smaller and smaller. Last year I stared my own personal reading challenge, which was an epic fail. I don't even want to mention how many books I read in 2011 because it's too embarrassing.

This year something needs to change. I've officially started querying Summer Spell, so this would be a great time to catch up on some reading. Especially when I'm not checking my email every second. It's true what they say, waiting is the hardest part.

I've been on the prowl for some reading challenges to enter, to really give myself the push that I need, and I couldn't really find any that were perfect for me. So I've decided to enter the Goodreads 2012 Reading Challenge. My goal is to read at least 30 books this year. I know 30 is a small number, but I want to start small and work my way up. Let's just hope that I stick to it.

I have a ton of books in my TBR pile to get to that I bought last year, so they should keep me pretty busy. And I also have a ton of books that I have my eye on, so this year should be a very exciting year in reading for me.  


How many books do you plan on reading this year?
5 comments on "2012 Reading Challenge"
  1. I think 30 is a great and realistic goal. I know my TBR list continues to grow. I feel as though I will never catch up. I may check out the Goodreads Challenge, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, Susan. I'm still buying books even though I have a ton to get through. I can't help myself. You should definitely check it out the Goodreads Challenge though.

    Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 30 is a great goal. I believe Sophia Chang has a Dusty Bookshelf reading challenge so encourage the reading of books already on the bookshelf, physical and virtual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendation, Angela. I'll definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's too true - writing definitely makes it harder to find time to read, but we need to! Good for you for making a reading challenge.

    I'm with the rest of the group - 30 is completely fair. It accounts for you being the busy person that you are while still pushing you to read often.

    My personal goal is 50, not counting anything I edit or critique for people. I think it might be pushing it, but that's what goals are for, right?

    -S.M. Boyce
    Author of The Grimoire: Lichgates
    When Kara opens the Grimoire, she’s thrown into a beautiful world full of terrifying things. There is no going back.
    Click here to read the first chapter for free.

    ReplyDelete