Dec 14, 2011

Road Trip Wednesday: Ideal Holiday Present

Today I'm participating in YA Highway's 109th Road Trip Wednesday. Road Trip Wednesday is a blog carnival where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing or reading related question that begs to be answered.

This Week's Topic:

What would be the ideal holiday present for your 
main character (or favorite character)? 


I really enjoy answering these types of questions because I don't usually think about these things while I'm writing. It's quite fun to dive a little deeper once in a while. Fifteen-year-old Cassidy Harwell lives on a small farm in Tinder, Louisiana with her mama and papa, Marsha and Peter Harwell. She mentions in the story the she and her mother scraped up some change and purchased a gold watch for the father last Christmas, his only gold watch. They're in the midst of a drought that has been going on for almost two years now, and things aren't getting any better. 

I know this might sound cheesy, but all Cassidy really wants is for things to go back to how they used to be in Tinder. Most of all, she doesn't want to leave. As for materialistic things, I'm sure Cassidy would love a new bicycle, so she wouldn't have to rely on her father driving her places. She would also probably really like a cell phone since her father won't get her own until she's at least sixteen.

Cassidy is a simple girl, but she does look forward to getting that brand new dress every single year on her birthday. Still, I don't think she'll ask for much this coming Christmas. Not with how things are now. 

7 comments:

  1. My heart just goes out to Cassidy. *hugs for her!*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Wishing Cassidy a holiday season full of love :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's some story--I honestly have no idea where it comes from--about a man who sells his prize possession (a gold watch) to get his wife a comb she'd been admiring. And then the wife cuts her hair and sells it to get the watch back.

    The full version was really much more moving. Your anecdote reminded me of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet!
    I hope she can work things out. And I wish a great Christmas to her (and to you!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cassidy sounds so sweet! I love when an MC has a pure heart. @Susan Francino...I know exactly what story you are talking about but don't remember the details either. All I know is it was very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Susan Francino - the story you are thinking of is "The Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry

    ReplyDelete