children's writer

2012 Novel

Dec 30, 2011
2011 was a decent year for me. I learned a lot writing wise, completed not one but two WIP's, and started a third which I'm completely in love with. Marylyn Was Her Name was definitely inspired by old Hollywood glamour. It's a novel about love, murder, and finding yourself. It's funny because this idea actually came to me in a dream, and I never dream up novels. So I know this one is special. I hope to start working on it as soon as I'm finished with revisions for my NaNo novel. Marylyn Was Her Name is going to be my 2012 novel.

This is the query I came up with for it. It isn't perfect, but I'm working on it:

Come her eighteenth birthday, seventeen-year-old Marylyn Greyer will be on the first Greyhound bus out of Dunmore, Virginia. She’s going to be a famous actress on Broadway.

Her life is anything but glamorous. She lives at home with her momma and her new boyfriend, Rick, a filthy drunk who can’t seem to keep his hands to himself. Every day she reminds herself that things are going get better once she leaves Dunmore.

But that day never comes when her momma uses her savings to pay last month’s bills. To get away from the situation at home, Marylyn takes a job at a local restaurant waiting tables. There she meets a smooth talking handsome young man by the name of Connor Mason. Everything changes from then on as Marylyn transforms into a social butterfly, walking, talking, and dressing differently. Her relationship with Connor is explosive and exciting. They spend as much time fighting as they do sleeping together.

Connor isn't like any young man she’s ever met. He believes in her, tells her she can have the world if she wants. Marylyn see’s something in Connor that no one else can. There’s a spark that burns in his eyes, so bright. So when he tells her his plan, a plan that could bring her the stardom she’s always dreamed of, Marylyn has to make a choice. Either stand by her man or go back to her old life.  

I even have a theme song for it:


One of my resolutions for 2012 and coming years is to write at least one novel for that year. My other resolution: Read more, a lot more since this year was a very disappointing year for me. I have a ton of books on my wishlist and a ton of books that I've started and haven't finished yet. I should be pretty busy. I'm looking forward to the new year. Here's hoping that we all get some good news.

Happy New Year!
4 comments on "2012 Novel"
  1. Great start for a query! I know how stressful writing those nasty little things can be...UGH! I love the theme song...it really gives a feel for the book. Good luck with Marylyn Was Her Name...it's off to a good start :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Queries are definitely stressful, and I'm so not looking forward to writing the synopsis either. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your book sounds great! Good luck. I want to write a book a year too. I'm currently revising my first and hope to write another in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I think a book a year is a very achievable goal. Good luck with revisions.

    ReplyDelete