Nov 17, 2011

Another NaNo Update

About 10k into my MG ghost story I decided to switch projects. Something extraordinary happened, and I fell back in love with a historical WIP I started in August. Now, I'm still behind, but thankfully since I already had quite a few words already written the entire manuscript comes in at almost 21k.

Participating in NaNo has been great. It really has encouraged me to write consistently. This is the first time I've written this many words in such a short amount of time. And it's the first time since completing my last historical novel that I've felt this strongly about a project. Guys, I think writing historical/contemporary fiction might be my thing. While I have dabbled here and there in other genres it seemed like there was always something wrong with either the voice, plot, or pacing. 

My current project, Songbird, takes place during the summer f 1962 in a fictional town called Riverdale. My main character Christine Taylor's father has just gone missing, due to constant smoking her mother's health is failing, and on top of all of this she's struggling with her feelings for two boys.

I'm having a blast engrossing myself in anything 60s related. I've found a cool site with 60s slang, watched The Apartment featuring Jack Lemmon and Shirley Maclaine, which is a great movie by the way, listened to some great music, and watched An Education for the second time. 

Here's one of my favorite scenes from An Education : 


I hope you guys are enjoying NaNo as much as I am. I really enjoy reading everyone's updates. And I would like to thank all of you who read, comment, and follow this blog. I really appreciate it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really loving NaNo too, I like having a specific goal in mind and the motivation to push me to write every day, even when I don't feel like it, because most of the time I end up moving my story forward more than I expected! I'm glad you were able to jump back into your old project, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Cortney. Participating in NaNo has been one of the best things I could do for my writing. I'm having a blast, and it's nice to know that other people are too.

    ReplyDelete