Oct 11, 2011

NaNoWriMo 2011

I've been thinking about giving NaNoWriMo another shot. Last year I totally failed, somewhat. I had trouble getting the voice just right, which is my fault because the whole point of NaNo is writing straight through, and not editing as you go. That's where I went wrong.

I'm a pantser so editing as I go gives me some sort of reassurance that my drafts won't be a complete mess once they're finished. I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up, outline, and do the best that I can.

I have a few ideas including a fairy tale, a ghost 
story, and a contemporary romance. I'm not sure whether my NaNo project will be MG or YA. But since I have the tendency to write short, and MG tends to be shorter than YA, I might be writing another MG book. Although, I do really love a hot romance. And hot romances are the best part about writing YA fiction. 

Here's a blurb I came up with so far for my ghost 
story

There’s a little girl living in the manor Penelope and her parents moved into. They call her the Blanchard girl. The only problem is Penelope is the only one who can see her. Ever since she was a little girl she’s been seeing ghosts, a gift past down from great-great-grandma, Voodoo Priestess Mama Lucile. Penelope knows that humans and spirits don’t need to be mingling, but when the Blanchard girl starts getting restless bad things begin to happen, like Penelope’s mother being shoved down a flight of stairs. The only way Penelope can stop her from hurting the people she loves is by giving her what she wants, a friend.

Are any of you participating in NaNoWriMo this year?

6 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of participating with a YA dystopian themed story centered around a young faery in the makeshift leftovers of our world where the fae were thought to be dead . It would be my first NaNoWriMo and it's kind of exciting thinking of doing something this exciting. I'm hoping to do well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, NaNoWriMo is always exciting. I still haven't decided on a story idea as of yet, but I really like yours. It sounds interesting. I think you'll do fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked it! I totally wanted to read on. NaNoWriMo is tough. I don't think I'll do it this year. Keep me posted on how it goes, :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment, Mina. I'll definitely keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got stories are hot now! And if things work out well, you'll have one ready for editing by December. I vote for making it YA and working in some hot romance. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment, Natasha. I've been thinking about making it YA, but I'm still not sure yet.

    ReplyDelete