children's writer

Thursday Love: My Favorite Childhood Book

Sep 8, 2011
Hey guys, so I’ve been racking my brain trying to come up with some blog post ideas. And I finally have, thanks to Inkcrush, Assortments, and My Girl Friday, which are all marvelous blogs by the way. You should pay them a visit if you haven’t already.

Welcome to the very first Thursday Love post. Thursday Love is a blog meme hosted by me, Books & Nooks, which highlights some of my favorite things this week from movies to blogs to books, websites…


Today, I wanted to talk about my favorite childhood book because we all have one. 

That one book that I read over and over again because it was just that special was The Little Sea Pony by Helen Cresswell. Reading about a magical, miniature pony was just exciting to me back then. I loved the world that Ms. Cresswell created. The scene where Molly had to let the sea pony go was the saddest thing I'd ever read. I must have read that book more than twice. I’ll always remember skimming its pages when I wanted to escape. Although, what I really wanted, and I still do, were friends like Molly and Peter.

Two of my other favorites were Alice in Wonderland and A Wrinkle in Time. Both are awesome books, which I’m sure most of you have probably read and enjoyed. I don't know, I guess I really love books that paint colorful worlds, books that have great characters that I'll even remember years from now, and most importantly, makes me want to read them over and over again.   

What about you? What's your favorite childhood book?
7 comments on "Thursday Love: My Favorite Childhood Book"
  1. Agree with you regarding A Wrinkle in Time. I loved that book. Made my mind wander, in a good way. I liked that feeling of adventure from it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Little House books. In fact, I ordered one so I could start reading it with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Tracey. I had two favorites when I was young. First was a ragged copy of Wendy and the Bullies, by Nancy K. Robinson. I remember reading this over and over and over until it literally disintegrated. It was so inspiring to read about a bullied girl who didn't give into bullies. Instead, she concocted elaborate plans to get around them and eventually overcome them.

    And, of course, I loved anything having to do with Encyclopedia Brown. It was like Christmas when my cousin would take me to the library and I got to take an Encyclopedia Brown book out, as each book had 8 mini adventures in it. I still recommend these books to my friends when they ask what to give their children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have to say the Nancy Drew Notebooks and No Flying in the House. Alice in Wonderland was also my absolute favorite! I never read a Wrinkle in Time :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fellow crusader here from your group dropping by to say hello! :)

    I loved A Wrinkle in Time, as well as the Famous Five series and Anne of Green Gables.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Little Sea Pony sounds so wonderful! I wish I could've read that book when I was a kid! One of my favorite books was about a girl who goes up to a house on a hill where a witch supposedly lives. I wish I could remember the name of it - I just remember being totally caught up in the mystery of it all. Your post makes me want to go read some great old children's books! Thanks!

    I'm a fellow campaigner - I'm not in your groups, but I wanted the fun of getting to know more writers. It's so great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. My book is the Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet by Eleanor Cameron.
    I wrote a lengthy blog post about it a few years ago. Two kids answer an ad in the paper to help build a rocketship to outer space. It always stuck with me, and once I googled it a while back, I found a number of people who also had fond memories of it.

    ReplyDelete