children's writer

Revising In Solitude

Aug 20, 2011
After reading countless posts on revising manuscripts, I've come up with one simple conclusion: I work best in complete silence.


It’s amazing how much work you can get done when you aren’t being interrupted by car sirens and honking horns. A few days ago some family members and I took a trip up to Virginia where we stayed in a resort that was made to look like a camp. And let me tell you, I practically breezed through revisions.

Surprisingly, too, because no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn’t concentrate. I kind of wish I was back there now, soaking up all the quietness. It was truly a lovely trip; I got to spend time with family members I hardly see during the year.

I’ve always thought of myself as a city girl, I can’t really imagine living anywhere else. But lately, I’ve been completely uninspired by my surroundings. Most people would consider it one of the most inspiring cities in the world, but for me, it’s just…I don’t know. 

Sometimes, it’s nice to get away for a little while. I’m just upset I didn’t take any pictures.

Where do you write best?
1 comment on "Revising In Solitude"
  1. When it comes to revising, you can't beat being alone. Since I've started writing, I've seriously considered moving to a remote Lake or a private beach house somewhere. I'd easily give up the city life for an inspiring surrounding and peace. It wasn't always that way, though.

    ReplyDelete