Aug 2, 2011

Picturing Your Prose

Looking through some photographs on my computer, I caught myself thinking how I wish I had a story to go along with them. Often times a simple photograph plucked right off the internet can be a source of inspiration to the discovery of whole new fictional world. It’s up to that writer to take that one moment in time and expand it into a multitude of words.

Although they say that true photographs cannot be expressed in written words, and what we see isn't what's truly there at all, for this post I'll have to disagree. There's just something about a pretty photo that makes me want to open up a blank document and type until my fingers go numb.

Below is what’s been lurking in my inspiration folder, for those of you, who like me, are brainstorming that shiny new idea and are doubtful that you have the talent to continue on this daunting journey.

Currently, I'm working on a new project that I started during NaNo last year, and I'm having second thoughts about it. And that's mostly because it is an entirely different genre than my previously completed novel. I find that some of these photos fit the theme perfectly. And although it is middle grade fiction, the photos above remind me of the importance of dreams, fairy tales, and everything else that exists only in our imaginations. 

As an aspiring author it is my duty to not only dream, but dream like I never have before. 

This post was inspired by Lyla Lee.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reference! The novel I'm revising right now (and, coincidentally, the one my collage was based off of) was also something entirely new for me compared to my other novels. I was reluctant and scared to fully jump into it but now I'm really glad I did.

    And I totally agree with what you said about dreaming differently. The pictures on your collage look really beautiful. I wish the best of luck on your writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem, Lyla. I think the most important thing is just getting those words down, regardless.

    Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete