Jul 24, 2011

Ramblings

Inspiration can strike at the oddest times especially when you least expect it. Inspiration for my writing comes in the form of movies, news, and photographs. Simply put, I'm inspired by creative people. They inspire me to do better, try harder, and crave more.  

Recently, on my favorite writing boards there's been a lot of talk about writing to music. Now, even though I've tried this concept before, I've never been able to master it. I like music, sure, but when a song is on full blast at the same time I'm trying to find my muse, my thoughts get all jumbled up, and my prose sucks. It's too purple, too flowery. Terrible.

I read something while browsing the web about a possible new planet called Goldilocks and I thought, wow, that's a great story idea, so I wrote it down. Now, it’s floating around somewhere on my computer, just waiting to be written.

Inspiration for stories can come in any shape or form. Quotes, names, places, an era, you name it. I saw The Lord of The Rings for the first time, all three movies, and I couldn't believe how great they were. I always thought that all of the hype surrounding them was just that—hype. But now I see. It’s more than just the movie, it’s about being thrust into a world that so different from our own, that’s so well crafted, you almost feel like you belong there.

Now I want to write my own high fantasy novel, but I know that’s not my style, and it probably won’t work out. That’s the thing I love about fantasy, it makes you want believe that anything’s possible.

But sometimes I think something’s are best left alone like Owling, for example. Who came up with that?  As silly as it is, we all know why it exists. It was inspired by one of the most popular fictional worlds of all time, and more silly stunts just like it are yet to come as our array of fantastical worlds expand.

I love writing and reading fiction, it makes you want to believe that maybe, just maybe, there is a real Hogwarts or Nevernever. And Dwight Schrute is really a paper salesman at a company called Dunder Mifflin.

Stepping outside of the bubble we’ve created for ourselves, because they're safe and nothing can harm us while we’re in them, I think is the first step to really, truly being able to live our lives with no limitations to what we can and cannot do.

I’m still not there yet, I’m always second guessing myself.

2 comments:

  1. Dwight Schrute isn't just a paper sales man. He owns the building...and he's a beet farmer. And he's TOTALLY real. ;)

    I can't listen to music and write, either. If I listen to music, then I LISTEN TO MUSIC. I can't even do wordless music. I listen to instruments. I listen to rhythms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, thank you so much Shelly for the comment. I totally agree with you on the music aspect. And Dwight Schrute is awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete